2113OEM Win2k

  • Ray Shapp
    May 9, 2001
      Hello All

      I know of a damaged Pentium III PC for sale at a very low price. I'm
      considering buying it just to get the Win2000 operating system CD plus
      Service Pack 1. I'll scrap the computer and load the operating system onto
      my computer (also a Pentium III).

      My questions:

      1.) Is this legal? That is, is it ok to continue to use an Original
      Equipment Manufacturer's version of Windows 2000 on a computer other than
      the one the system came on (assuming the original PC is no longer in
      service)?

      2.) The damaged (and soon to be scrapped PC) is a Dell and my machine is a
      Gateway. Are OEM versions of the operating system manufacturer-specific? I
      wouldn't mind if the initial splash screen shows the Dell Logo. I'm
      concerned about operational compatibility of the OS with the rest of my
      hardware and software, especially Office Professional.

      Thanks for the insight.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic