1584Re: [NTB] What is NoteTab for?

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Jan 1, 2001
      Carl Swann wrote:

      > Both Jody and Jim Hall replied concerning this... Jody's idea would
      > get you to where you want to be (albeit in HTML) but why not use a
      > word processor.

      "Why not use a word processor" indeed! That very question was what
      prompted my original post in this thread a few days ago.

      I used to use a word processor in my CP/M days. It was called
      WordStar. But it had one big drawback, and that was that it could only
      have one file open at a time. So each time I wanted to refer to another
      document, I would have to manually save the file I was in, hunt for the
      file I needed, open it, find the data, copy it to a third file, close
      the 2nd file, hunt for the first file, open it, read in the data from
      the third file. Whew!

      When I switched from CP/M to MS-DOS I also switched from WordStar to a
      "text editor" called VDE which was modeled on the WordStar user
      interface. It had a nearly identical "look and feel" to WordStar and
      used a nearly identical command set, including the commands for
      inserting markers for italics and underlines. But the MS-DOS version of
      VDE had one feature that the CP/M version lacked: it allowed you to have
      multiple files open at once. So I could have my cake (WordStar
      commands) and eat it too (have multiple files open)!

      VDE became my most used program, and I only reverted to WordStar for
      complex formatting, mail merging and stuff like that. And the beauty of
      this system was that both my text editor and my word processor used the
      same keyboard command set, so I never had to interrupt the flow of my
      work to stop and ask myself: "um, which program am I in and which
      command set do I need to use to move the cursor over to the next word?"

      But when I finally threw in the towel and grudgingly switched from
      MS-DOS to Windows (for the sake of compatibility with the computers at
      work) I found that running VDE in a DOS box under Windows was too
      frustrating and limiting. And Eric Meyers, the author of VDE, had no
      interest in writing a Windows version of his text editor. He loathed
      Windows.

      So I began shopping around for a VDE-like text editor which would run
      under Windows 95. And that's when I stumbled upon NoteTab Pro. I
      happened on the NoteTab scene just at the time that Eric (Fookes) was
      expanding the WordStar command set for his final version of NoteTab Pro
      4.xx, and I jumped on the bandwagon with a list of my favorite WordStar
      text editing commands. (I still regret that because I got in at the last
      minute, and hurriedly compiled my list for Eric, I overlooked what is
      probably the most useful of all WordStar commands, Ctrl-N, for inserting
      a blank line in the text).

      I came to NoteTab from an MS-DOS program, VDE, whose author called it a
      "text editor." And this so-called text editor had commands for marking
      italicized and underlined text. So I spent a decade or more using a
      program I had been led to believe was a "text editor" and just assumed
      that having the ability to mark text in italics was one of the things
      text editors do.

      So, as you can probably imagine, I was totally unprepared for, and taken
      aback by, the hostility that my naive question about italics in NoteTab
      provoked.

      > A text editor (like NoteTab) edits text, a word
      > processor processes words. NoteTab bakes a cake, while a word
      > processor puts on the icing, the sprinkles, and the candles.

      I have a word processor (Word97) but I seldom use it because it is such
      a system hog and it seems like such overkill for my purposes. All I
      really need is the computer equivalent of my old Smith Corona portable
      electric typewriter.

      And since I always have NoteTab running anyway, it just seemed like the
      logical choice for my writing projects. I mean, why run two programs in
      this crash prone "house of cards" Windows operating environment, when
      you could get by with running only one?

      Whoa! I really have prattled on, haven't I?

      Well, if you've read this far you deserve a medal for effort above and
      beyond the call of duty.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic