7372Re: [NH] can't find my answer on internet

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Mar 29, 2014
      Interviewed by CNN on 29/03/2014 12:59, Adrien Verlee told the world:
      > For footnotes I use:
      > <a name="top1" href="#v1">[1]</a> This code is for IN the text. And:
      > <a name="v1" href="#top1">[1]</a> This is the footnote at the end of the
      > text, so the reader can go back.
      > Someone points me out that this code is deprecated for XHTML strict 1.1
      > But I use XHTML transitional 1.0 (This should, due to external factors).
      > He suggesting this:
      > <a id="top1" href="#v1">[1]</a> (IN the text) and <a id="v1"
      > href="#top1">[1]</a> (at the end), thus replacing "name" with "id".
      > This code is a little shorter, and that is good.
      > But he speaks about xhtml strict 1.1. Makes that a fundamental
      > difference with xhtml transitional 1.0?
      > Someone who knows?
      First, forget about XHTML 1.1. It didn't catch on, very few people
      bothered to configure their webservers correctly to serve it (so they
      were doing it wrong anyway), and nobody cares about it anymore.

      Instead, try aiming for HTML5. A good first step would be to figure out
      what is keeping you from using HTML 4.01/XHTML 1.0 in Strict mode. Then
      check the HTML5 documentation; there's a fair chance that whatever is
      the problem, it will be easier to work around it in HTML5 (some of the
      deprecated features in HTML 4.01 Strict got "un-deprecated" in HTML5,
      and also there's a lot of new stuff that can be used to work around
      whatever your need is).

      Note that HTML5 does not have "transitional" mode; it's either compliant
      or it isn't. But there's a lot of tolerance for coding mistakes built
      into the spec -- differently from previous versions, HTML5 actually
      specifies how an user-agent should handle many sorts of syntax errors,
      so the behavior of your page tends to be more consistent from one
      browser to another.

      Second, yes, <a name="whatever"> is being deprecated, because it became
      redundant with the introduction of the "id" parameter (which is allowed
      in pretty much *any* HTML element). So instead of "name", use "id".
      That's it. (But you shouldn't use an <a> element without an "href"
      parameter; if you want only a destination, put the "id" parameter in the
      element that makes the most sense -- usually a <p>, <h1>...<h6> or
      add a <div> or <span> around the destination point).

      Third... only use XHTML instead of HTML if you have the webserver
      configured correctly (to serve the pages as "application/xhtml+xml"
      instead of "text/html"); otherwise, there's no point to it and you are
      actually _more_ compliant using HTML. (HTML5 can optionally be served as
      XHTML5, with almost exactly the same syntax).

      ... Sent from my smoke signals pit.