24207Re: [Clip] Find Common Words Among Two Documents

  • Ian NTnerd
    Dec 3, 2013
      You may also want to look at http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ they have newer updates/builds and many more tools. Not so quick to install though.

      On 3/12/2013 3:38 PM, Ray Shapp wrote:
      Hi Axel and Robert,

      Getting back to this problem after being occupied elsewhere.

      @Axel: Thank you for the idea for the structure of a clip.

      @Robert: Thanks for the reference to the Unix ports. I used NoteTab to separate every word in the second file onto a line of its own then sorted while discarding duplicates. Then the comm command gave an incredibly fast result.

      Problem solved!

      Side benefit: now I have a library of Unix utilities on my Windows PC.

      Again, thank you both.

      Ray Shapp

      On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:

      On Sunday, December 1, 2013, 5:25:50 AM, Ray Shapp wrote:

      RS> I want to find any of the words in this document that also occur
      RS> in a second document

      Take a look at a port of the Unix utility "comm," e.g from the
      UnxUtils at http://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils/ You do have to
      sort the files first. Then:

      Usage: comm [OPTION]... LEFT_FILE RIGHT_FILE
      Compare sorted files LEFT_FILE and RIGHT_FILE line by line.

      -1 suppress lines unique to left file
      -2 suppress lines unique to right file
      -3 suppress lines unique to both files
      --help display this help and exit
      --version output version information and exit

      You put sort and comm in a batch file and wrap them in a clip.

      Robert Bull

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic