Waters provokes soccer fan backlash

  • George
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
      I write a weekly humor column, and don't normally even touch on sports, but last Sunday I
      made fun of the lame names of American soccer teams
      (http://www.georgewaters.net/soccer_sucks.html).

      When I checked on how the traffic to my Web site was going, I saw it was easily five times
      the normal rate, all coming from a particular soccer fan forum. Wow. As far as I know, I
      have never been spanked in public like this before. In print, I am usually making fun of my
      dog's, or my own, virility, or something equally beyond controvery.

      Read this:
      http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=24829
      and tell me who among you has also been run through the spank tunnel. I want to hear
      stories.
    • Cameron Sullivan
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007

        Great work, George! You can't pay for exposure this good. As they say in the PR world, "Any kind of press is good press, as long as they spell your name right." Nothing like a good spanking to get yourself more readers.
        Personally, I can't say I've been publicly "spanked" - yet. I hope to soon; it may aid with the syndication efforts. Perhaps I'll take on USA Table Tennis or some other lesser sport...

        Cameron

        Visit me on the Web at www.cameronsullivan.net

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
          RE: [nsncdiscussions] Waters provokes soccer fan backlash

          My best this one was a travel piece on Walt Disney World. I made two minor factual errors. The piece was posted on two WDW fan sites. I got death threats from around the world.

          "Anyone who doesn't know it's not the Magic Tea Cup Ride shouldn't be allowed to live!" they thundered. Yep -- a Mickey fatwa.

          Lindor Reynolds

          Columnist
          Winnipeg Free Press
          1355 Mountain Ave.
          Winnipeg, MB
          Canada
          R2X 3B6
          204.697.7272

            ----------

            Visit me on the Web at www.cameronsullivan.net

            I write a weekly humor column, and don't normally even touch on sports, but last Sunday I
            made fun of the lame names of American soccer teams
            (http://www.georgewaters.net/soccer_sucks.html).

            When I checked on how the traffic to my Web site was going, I saw it was easily five times
            the normal rate, all coming from a particular soccer fan forum. Wow. As far as I know, I
            have never been spanked in public like this before. In print, I am usually making fun of my
            dog's, or my own, virility, or something equally beyond controvery.

            Read this:
            http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=24829
            and tell me who among you has also been run through the spank tunnel. I want to hear
            stories.

            < /p>

        • Ben S. Pollock
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
            Congrats, George, on the bulls-eye. A gentle column about a hypersensitive but harmless
            group -- as opposed to ANTBA, Appropriate Names for Teddy Bears Association -- I
            thought your piece was enviably clever. My blog lost three of its 10 readers when I
            considererd the name of the new baseball team here:
            http://benpollock.com/brick/index.php/2007/05/30/almanac-you/ yet your piece is so
            funny people should have seen that you were ... serious.

            Ben
          • Robert Haught
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
              It was a very clever column and I'm glad it increased your
              readership.
              Of all the pieces I've written about politicians in the past 18
              years the one that drew the largest amount of hate mail was one I
              wrote about Al Gore putting on weight after he lost the 2004
              election. I was the target of an organized write-in campaign by
              Gore supporters and also drew fire from scattered Democrats. But
              the harshest comments came from -- fat people.
              Bob

              --- In nsncdiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "George" <george@...> wrote:

              > I write a weekly humor column, and don't normally even touch on
              sports, but last Sunday I
              > made fun of the lame names of American soccer teams
              > (http://www.georgewaters.net/soccer_sucks.html).
              >
              > When I checked on how the traffic to my Web site was going, I saw
              it was easily five times
              > the normal rate, all coming from a particular soccer fan forum.
              Wow. As far as I know, I
              > have never been spanked in public like this before. In print, I am
              usually making fun of my
              > dog's, or my own, virility, or something equally beyond controvery.
              >
              > Read this:
              > http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=24829
              > and tell me who among you has also been run through the spank
              tunnel. I want to hear
              > stories.

            • W. Bruce Cameron
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 5, 2007
                Cameron,

                If we got married your name would be Cameron Cameron.

                Just thought you'd like to know.

                Bruce

                W. Bruce Cameron
                Winner of the 2006 Robert Benchley Award for Best Humorist
                Winner of the 2006 National Society of Newspaper Columnists Award for Best
                Humor Columnist
                Author of 8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter
              • cynthia borris
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 5, 2007
                  Hi Cameron and Bruce,

                  This discussion gets better every post. May I buy the first drink and listen in the background how Cameron explains this to her husband? Might just out spank George's column response.

                  Let see, if we married, I be Cynthia Cameron and could drop my Borris like Morris the cat with a B. Has a nice ring.

                  On a side note, Cameron, I met a man the other night who loves your Red Sox columns and would like nothing more than to meet you.  Me, I was simply on a *date-interview* for a Raider-Colt ticket and lucky me, halfway between yawn and how much does my own ticket cost, I got the coveted ticket. What a woman has to do to see Peyton Manning.

                  Anyway, should Joe of Walnut Creek call you, he's your number one Red Sox column fan. You can thank me later!

                  Cynthia
                  Latest Release - Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 5, 2007

                    A reader loves my "Red Sox columns" -- ? I've only written one - right before the World Series. Perhaps it was syndicated w/o my knowledge? Hmmm.... Sounds  a little spooky to me. Glad you got the ticket, though, Cynthia. Way to be resourceful.

                    Cameron Sullivan (... and... uh... I'm sticking with "Sullivan." Sorry Bruce)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 5, 2007
                      Cameron,

                      Just like George's soccer story, it doesn't take but one column to stand out above the rest. Plus, this guy works at your newspaper so I suppose the syndication is in-house. It must have been a great article. He remembers it well.

                      At $96 a ticket, resourceful is my middle name. Raiders better win.

                      Have a good day and we'll talk soon.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2007
                        George,

                        First, I really enjoyed the article. I thought it was one of your best.

                        Second, I read the comments. You have a mixed audience, pro and con. Bet they'll be creating tee-shirts with your name with a red circle and a slash. Anti- soccer George. You may just be the latest fad.

                        On Dec 4, 2007 10:01 AM, George <george@...> wrote:

                        I write a weekly humor column, and don't normally even touch on sports, but last Sunday I
                        made fun of the lame names of American soccer teams
                        ( http://www.georgewaters.net/soccer_sucks.html).

                        When I checked on how the traffic to my Web site was going, I saw it was easily five times
                        the normal rate, all coming from a particular soccer fan forum. Wow. As far as I know, I
                        have never been spanked in public like this before. In print, I am usually making fun of my
                        dog's, or my own, virility, or something equally beyond controvery.

                        Read this:
                        http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=24829
                        and tell me who among you has also been run through the spank tunnel. I want to hear
                        stories.

                      • maggie van ostrand
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 5, 2007
                          George, this is really one of your best.

                          The only thing funnier than your column was the reaction to it. Proof
                          indeed that criticism breeds traffic. :-)

                          Loved this line on the spank tunnel:

                          >I hate soccer because anyone with a foot can play it.>

                          Maggie

                          On Dec 4, 2007, at 10:01 AM, George wrote:

                          > I write a weekly humor column, and don't normally even touch on
                          > sports, but last Sunday I
                          > made fun of the lame names of American soccer teams
                          > (http://www.georgewaters.net/soccer_sucks.html).
                          >
                          > When I checked on how the traffic to my Web site was going, I saw it
                          > was easily five times
                          > the normal rate, all coming from a particular soccer fan forum. Wow.
                          > As far as I know, I
                          > have never been spanked in public like this before. In print, I am
                          > usually making fun of my
                          > dog's, or my own, virility, or something equally beyond controvery.
                          >
                          > Read this:
                          > http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=24829
                          > and tell me who among you has also been run through the spank tunnel.
                          > I want to hear
                          > stories.
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • George
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 6, 2007
                            Folks,

                            Since my original posting, a couple of guys from the soccer forum
                            emailed me directly to chastise me. One said it "sucks to be you," and
                            the other said "it is clear that you have no understanding of the
                            game." He obviously didn't understand that having no understanding of
                            something is where I climb on as a humor columnist. It's kind of my pony.

                            I took the Dave Lieber route, though, and responded to both that I
                            appreciated their comments, that they had made some good points, and
                            that if they felt that passionately, they should write their letter to
                            the editor, not me. One guy wrote back asking for the email address
                            of the editor. :-)

                            Next week: Why Arena Football Totally Blows

                            George

                            --- In nsncdiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "cynthia borris"
                            <cynthiaborris@...> wrote:

                            > George,
                            >
                            > First, I really enjoyed the article. I thought it was one of your best.
                            >
                            > Second, I read the comments. You have a mixed audience, pro and con. Bet
                            > they'll be creating tee-shirts with your name with a red circle and a
                            > slash. Anti- soccer George. You may just be the latest fad.
                            >
                            > Cynthia
                            >
                            > Latest Release - Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul
                            > "The Rocker and the Writer"
                            > www.cynthiaborris.com
                            >

                            > On Dec 4, 2007 10:01 AM, George <george@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I write a weekly humor column, and don't normally even touch on
                            sports,
                            > > but last Sunday I
                            > > made fun of the lame names of American soccer teams
                            > > (http://www.georgewaters.net/soccer_sucks.html).
                            > >
                            > > When I checked on how the traffic to my Web site was going, I saw
                            it was
                            > > easily five times
                            > > the normal rate, all coming from a particular soccer fan forum.
                            Wow. As
                            > > far as I know, I
                            > > have never been spanked in public like this before. In print, I am
                            usually
                            > > making fun of my
                            > > dog's, or my own, virility, or something equally beyond controvery.
                            > >
                            > > Read this:
                            > > http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=24829
                            > > and tell me who among you has also been run through the spank
                            tunnel. I
                            > > want to hear
                            > > stories.

                          • sgarrett
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 6, 2007
                              Re:Waters provokes soccer fan backlash George, this is hilarious, which is why you got the reaction you did because soccer fans are so serious about the game (does it qualify as a sport?). I’d never thought of the comparison between soccer and pro rasslin’, but you have a point. Another way to liven up the game would be to place landmines randomly around the field.

                              Have fun,
                              Sonny Garrett
                            • Cameron Sullivan
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 6, 2007

                                Ahh... Ignorance is bliss. Great work, George! I have a standard line for readers who take issue with anything I write: "Dear (reader's name): Thank you for reading and for making the effort to get in touch. It is always helpful to know what readers think about what they read in the paper."

                                ... but I leave off the following: "Where's your sense of humor? I don't claim to be an expert on anything. That's why I'm a columnist."

                                One last thing - Wish me luck on a column I wrote, which pubs tomorrow, that may possibly incite a riot from (egads!) people who have psychological disorders. I'lllet you know if I get a backlash of hate mail. And then I'll remind myself, as George said, that it's a "HUMOR column."

                                Cameron Sullivan

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 6, 2007
                                  Hey Cameron -- send us the column link as soon as it's published so we
                                  can contribute some hits.

                                  Maggie, who has a coffee mug from the Mariott Residence Inn in
                                  Pleasanton

                                  On Dec 6, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Cameron Sullivan wrote:

                                  > Ahh... Ignorance is bliss. Great work, George! I have a standard line
                                  > for readers who take issue with anything I write: "Dear (reader's
                                  > name): Thank you for reading and for making the effort to get in
                                  > touch. It is always helpful to know what readers think about what they
                                  > read in the paper."
                                  >
                                  > ... but I leave off the following: "Where's your sense of humor? I
                                  > don't claim to be an expert on anything. That's why I'm a columnist."
                                  >
                                  > One last thing - Wish me luck on a column I wrote, which pubs
                                  > tomorrow, that may possibly incite a riot from (egads!) people who
                                  > have psychological disorders. I'lllet you know if I get a backlash of
                                  > hate mail. And then I'll remind myself, as George said, that it's a
                                  > "HUMOR column."
                                  >
                                  > Cameron Sullivan
                                  > Visit me on the Web at www.cameronsullivan.net

                                • Cameron Sullivan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 7, 2007

                                    Good morning, everyone-

                                    So far no backlash from sufferers of Seasonal Affective Disoorder (SAD) who think I'm mocking them in today's column.Then again, it's only 9 a.m. on the west coast. If other SAD sufferers are anything like me, they still haven't finished wiping the sleep out of their eyes. Here's the column:

                                    From the newspaper (which may ask you to register before viewing, but doing so will increase hits -(thanks Maggie)): http://www.contracostatimes.com/pleasanton/ci_7659636

                                    Or from my website: http://www.cameronsullivan.net/120707PL.html

                                    Time to wake up and drink the coffee.

                                    Cameron Sullivan
                                    Visit me on the Web at www.cameronsullivan.net

                                  • maggie@maggievanostrand.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 7, 2007
                                      [nsncdiscussions] Cameron's Column - Is it HAD, BAD, LAD o
                                      Very funny column. I sent it on to my Boston son-in-law, who suffers from SAD. I had thought he was making up symptoms. :-)

                                      Thanks, Cameron.

                                      Maggie

                                      From the newspaper (which may ask you to register before viewing, but doing so will increase hits -(thanks Maggie)): http://www.contracostatimes.com/pleasanton/ci_7659636

                                      Visit me on the Web at www.cameronsullivan.net

                                      --

                                      Maggie

                                      maggie@...
                                      http://www.maggievanostrand.com
                                      http://www.columnists.com
                                      http://www.humorwriters.org/
                                    • Cameron Sullivan
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 17, 2007

                                        Hi All,

                                        I just received a new freelance contract from the newspaper group that publishes my weekly column regionally. This is a new owner and there's some wording in the contract that I'm unfamiliar with from the previous owner. In particular, two items:

                                        1) "[newspaper group]'s 'publication rights' shall include the right to publish and republish the material; to create derivative works; to use, adapt, modify, perform, transmit or reproduce such material and derivatives in any form or medium whether now or hereafter, throughout the world....";   and

                                        2) "...[newspaper group] reserves the right to resell the materials in any printed or electronic form in the same manner that [newspaper group] offers similar staff-generated materials, retaining all profit derived from such sales..."

                                        Clearly I don't do this for the paycheck -- :)  -- But I'm a bit wary of some of the language. My gut tells me I should remain comfortable that I have a good relationship with my editor and hope that I ever do get so lucky that my column ever gets reproduced "throughout the world" one day! But there seems to be little indication that the publisher is required even to include my byline in doing so! I'm guess I'm still a newbie; only at this column-writing for three years. Would love advice.

                                        Cameron Sullivan
                                        Visit me on the Web at www.cameronsullivan.net

                                      • Terry Marotta
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 17, 2007

                                          Cameron I just cross out and initial those paragraphs and initial the cross-outs. My papers seem to get it that I’m a struggling self-syndicater and that much depends on my ability to own my own stuff package it into collections, modify it for use a radio essays etc. They don’t seem to care. Anyway no one has ever objected when I include a little cover letter. It’s still upsets me every time I get a letter like this from “Management” ; and it seems so greedy of them!

                                          Good luck with this

                                          Terry M

                                          617-512-2264

                                          www.terrymarotta.com

                                          c/o of Ravenscroft Press

                                          Box 270 Winchester MA 01890

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 17, 2007
                                            Yes, exactly what Terry said. Cross out what you don't like and initial
                                            it.

                                            Maggie