Re: Got Serial, Got root Now the firmware

  • Paul Bartholomew
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Sopher" <Steve@w...> wrote:
      >> Is the firmware best uploaded via the Linksys web page upload?

      I definitely don't trust their web page upload - I 'bricked' an
      NSLU2 the first day I got it.

      Their update method appears to be flawed: they seem to be "OK" with
      re-writing the Redboot section of Flash. If that fails, then you're
      screwed. They should never re-write Redboot, IMO.

      Going in via telnet/serial port, and manually re-writing mtd2/mtd3
      seems safest to me - if it fails, you can always get control of
      Redboot, and try again.

      Also, Redboot has the "fis erase" and "fis write" commands. I
      haven't tried them, but I think they'd be as good/safe as
      the "mtd2/mtd3" re-writes from Linux (except you need to be careful
      with the "fis" commands, since you're specifying addresses in the
      Flash chip (a missing digit in an address could potentially screw up
      Redboot, for example)).

      - Paulb
    • Sopher
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004

        Can you elaborate on the exact steps to do this?

        I could try, but I’m sure _I_ would brick it myself.

        Use as an example this firmware file:  nslu2-busybox-1.0-rc3-halt.tar.gz