Got Serial, Got root Now the firmware

  • Sopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004

      Got it.

      I was able to successfully add the serial connection and HyperTerm into the unit during boot up.

      I also “got root” via telnet.

      What firmware builds are recommended? I want to ftp to the unit, run a small web server and use the TiVo HMO options.

      Is the firmware best uploaded via the Linksys web page upload?

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Sopher" <Steve@w...> wrote:
        >> Is the firmware best uploaded via the Linksys web page upload?

        I definitely don't trust their web page upload - I 'bricked' an
        NSLU2 the first day I got it.

        Their update method appears to be flawed: they seem to be "OK" with
        re-writing the Redboot section of Flash. If that fails, then you're
        screwed. They should never re-write Redboot, IMO.

        Going in via telnet/serial port, and manually re-writing mtd2/mtd3
        seems safest to me - if it fails, you can always get control of
        Redboot, and try again.

        Also, Redboot has the "fis erase" and "fis write" commands. I
        haven't tried them, but I think they'd be as good/safe as
        the "mtd2/mtd3" re-writes from Linux (except you need to be careful
        with the "fis" commands, since you're specifying addresses in the
        Flash chip (a missing digit in an address could potentially screw up
        Redboot, for example)).

        - Paulb
      • Sopher
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004

          Can you elaborate on the exact steps to do this?

          I could try, but I’m sure _I_ would brick it myself.

          Use as an example this firmware file:  nslu2-busybox-1.0-rc3-halt.tar.gz