Re: J2 pin1 location & the A232DB adapter

  • itwerx3
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      There are actually a fair number of ways to indicate the first pin,
      including a white triangle/arrow, the numeral "1" or having the actual
      solder pad be a different shape from the rest (usually square). Also,
      (and this might be what the post below is referring to) the
      silkscreening may emclose the first pin or otherwise be deformed in
      that area. E.g. "cutting the corner" so that a silk-screen box around
      the connector looks like it has a corner folded over.
      There are a few examples here:
      http://www.genesis16.net/components.htm
      In short, look at all the pins and the area around them. Somewhere,
      somehow, on one side of the board or the other, one of the pins will
      be different from the others. The rest of the pins are easy to deduce
      as you simple go around counter-clockwise from pin 1. (That last
      obviously doesn't apply to PGA devices and anything else with more
      than two rows :).