Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: J2 pin1 location & the A232DB adapter

  • m. allan noah
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      there is a white line or white right angle at pin one on every connector
      on every commercial product pcb i have have ever seen. the nslu2 is no
      exception. look for the white line. there is even one on the processor,
      the phy, the usb chip, etc.

      allan

      On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Paul Bartholomew wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Sopher" <Steve@w...> wrote:
      > > Can someone tell me the location of Pin 1 for the J2 connector? I
      > don't
      > > want to assume it's the left most solder dot above the J2 silk
      > screen.
      >
      > When I initially documented the pinouts of J2, and I said "pin 1", I
      > meant the pin closest to the IXP420/battery (reading "J2"
      > silkscreen, the pins are 1-4 from left to right).
      >
      > Pin "1" (closest to IXP420) is VCC, pin "4" (furthest from IXP420)
      > is GND.
      >
      > - Paulb
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • itwerx3
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
        There are actually a fair number of ways to indicate the first pin,
        including a white triangle/arrow, the numeral "1" or having the actual
        solder pad be a different shape from the rest (usually square). Also,
        (and this might be what the post below is referring to) the
        silkscreening may emclose the first pin or otherwise be deformed in
        that area. E.g. "cutting the corner" so that a silk-screen box around
        the connector looks like it has a corner folded over.
        There are a few examples here:
        http://www.genesis16.net/components.htm
        In short, look at all the pins and the area around them. Somewhere,
        somehow, on one side of the board or the other, one of the pins will
        be different from the others. The rest of the pins are easy to deduce
        as you simple go around counter-clockwise from pin 1. (That last
        obviously doesn't apply to PGA devices and anything else with more
        than two rows :).