backup flash drive

  • Pedro Neves
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2005
      Hello,

      I have a: V2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta with a 512 flash drive has main disk.

      I would like to know what I have to do to fully back up the flash.
      I would like to duplicate the existing flash drive so I could use the
      duplicate on another nslu2, without having to have to install
      everything again.

      By the way anyone know:
      - can I still use the web interface after UNSLINGING ?
      - http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/Unslung55BetaProblems
      Why does this happens ? It seems it happened after I
      changed the ip address of the bix using the web interface.
      Not sure though it could be because of something else.

      Thanks a lot,

      Pedro
    • Jelle Alten
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2005
        Solution 1:

        format the second flash disk (make sure you don't format the first disk, you might want to do this on a different machine or without the first disk in the slug)
        boot using your original flash disk
        telnet to the slug
        attach the second flash disk
        mount the second disk (e.g. mkdir /mnt/flash2; mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/flash2)
        perform a  "cp -a /mounted_first_flash_location /mounted_second_flash_location"
        where "mounted_first_flash_location" is where your first flash disk was mounted, and "mounted_second_flash_location" where your second flash disk was mounted

        Solution 2:
        put both flash disks in a linux machine (laptop? desktop? slug?)
        format the second
        do a dd copy from the first to the second
        done
        Solution 3:
        use a backup/ghost/image program to create an image of the flash disk (always a good idea to keep an image somewhere)
        restore the image to the second flash disk.

        I didn't actually test all this, but you'll get the idea.

        Have fun.

        Jelle