Re: OpenSSH Server being hacked ???

  • jimmyfergus
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "wifimax" <wifimax@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks for all reply. I am reading and reading to find the best
      > solution to prevent hackers login to my NSLU2 server.
      >
      > 1. Change port number - It might work but I think about the hackers
      > can use some port scanning program to know new port.
      > 2. Frequently changing my login password.
      > 3. Create a private/public key to login instead of using password
      > 4. Port knocking. I have to read more about this stuff. very
      interesting.

      I'd have said 1 & 3 is enough for most of us. 2 will only help if
      they first hacked into your remote machine, and then failed to collect
      your private key when they harvested your password.

      Anyway, changing the port number will be effective unless someone is
      determined to target *you* specifically. Most of the attacks are
      scripts looking for the easiest targets. They're unlikely to do a
      full on port scan of you, unless they know who you are and are
      specifically motivated to get you.

      J.