Disk backup with OpenDebian

  • jack_2006b
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
      Thanks for the info.

      I want to backup my HD to another HD like the Linksys firmware has.
      But I want to know if someone can gave me some info or a link with a
      guide.

      Thanks
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
        I think this came up a little while ago. If you have two drives
        attached and just want to make a backup of one to the other (which I
        assume is what you want, since that's what the Linksys F/W does) then
        a simple:

        dd if=/dev/sda(n) of=/dev/sdb(n)

        man dd will give you more info on your options.

        The "n"s are optional, and used only if you just want to backup
        certain partitions.

        I have tested this since I originally mentioned it, and it does seem
        to work, albeit slowly :-)

        You could also backup to a file, as was also mentioned.

        If you want to do things like incremental backups then you need
        something more sophisticated.

        I'm working on getting "tar" on my slug to archive to a tape drive on
        another machine, can't see why it won't work but you never know. It
        is GNU tar so I'm optimistic.

        On Nov 3, 2005, at 6:36 PM, jack_2006b wrote:

        > Thanks for the info.
        >
        > I want to backup my HD to another HD like the Linksys firmware has.
        > But I want to know if someone can gave me some info or a link with a
        > guide.
        >
        > Thanks
      • Adrian Day
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
          On 11/4/05, jack_2006b <jack@...> wrote:

          > I want to backup my HD to another HD like the Linksys firmware has.
          > But I want to know if someone can gave me some info or a link with a
          > guide.

          I'd avoid using 'dd' at all costs. GNU tar is your friend. All of the
          following should be done running as root or via 'sudo'.

          Create of file containing a list of things you don't want backing up -
          let's call it ~/exclude.

          ~/exclude might contain:

          /proc
          /mnt

          Then, mount the 2nd disk on /mnt:

          mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt

          Then run tar:

          tar cvpzf /mnt/mybackup.tar.gz -X ~/exclude /

          How to safely restore stuff is an exercise left to the reader. 'man tar'

          There are a few other options that might come in handy.

          Pretty sure this won't work using a BusyBox version of tar.

          HTH,
          --
          AJ
        • jack_2006b
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
            Thanks Very much for the information.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Day <adrian.day@g...>
            wrote:

            > On 11/4/05, jack_2006b <jack@j...> wrote:
            >
            > > I want to backup my HD to another HD like the Linksys firmware
            has.
            > > But I want to know if someone can gave me some info or a link
            with a
            > > guide.
            >
            > I'd avoid using 'dd' at all costs. GNU tar is your friend. All of
            the
            > following should be done running as root or via 'sudo'.
            >
            > Create of file containing a list of things you don't want backing
            up -
            > let's call it ~/exclude.
            >
            > ~/exclude might contain:
            >
            > /proc
            > /mnt
            >
            > Then, mount the 2nd disk on /mnt:
            >
            > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt
            >
            > Then run tar:
            >
            > tar cvpzf /mnt/mybackup.tar.gz -X ~/exclude /
            >
            > How to safely restore stuff is an exercise left to the
            reader. 'man tar'

            > There are a few other options that might come in handy.
            >
            > Pretty sure this won't work using a BusyBox version of tar.
            >
            > HTH,
            > --
            > AJ

          • jimmyfergus
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jack_2006b" <jack@j...> wrote:
              > I want to backup my HD to another HD like the Linksys firmware has.
              > But I want to know if someone can gave me some info or a link with a
              > guide.

              If you want something regular (i.e. not sporadic), then look into
              rsnapshot. See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallRSnapshot
              and http://www.rsnapshot.org/

              It will reward some reading, as it's a superb backup option. "it is
              possible to keep multiple, full backups instantly available. The disk
              space required is just a little more than the space of one full
              backup, plus incrementals."

              J.
            • Felix Homann
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
                On Friday 04 November 2005 02:36, jack_2006b wrote:
                > Thanks for the info.
                >
                > I want to backup my HD to another HD like the Linksys firmware has.
                > But I want to know if someone can gave me some info or a link with a
                > guide.
                >
                > Thanks

                Hi,

                I'm using slbackup which is a frontend to rdiff-backup. I don't know what the
                Linksys firmware does since I've never used it but slbackup does exactly what
                I want from a backup software. There's even a webmin interface (package name:
                webmin-slbackup) which is helpful for setting up the necessary ssh keys.

                You can find some more information here:

                http://www.skolelinux.no/~klaus/newnotater/x2949.html

                Make sure that you use compatible versions of rdiff-backup on both machines.
                Since I'm using Debian/Sid on all of my machines (except for the NSLU2) I had
                to manually build rdiff-backup 1.0.1-1 from Sid on the Slug (there's only
                0.0.7-3 on debonaras).

                Regards,

                Felix

                P.S.: Sorry if this is a duplicate message. But right now it seems that my
                first message got eaten by the net...