News from Xbt torrent client Need Openslug users ! :)

  • mcfly587
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
      Hi everybody,

      I have create a ./configure for XBT torrent but i have always a small
      problem for unslung firmware ( he don't download ) !

      The application compil with 5 warnings :

      bt_misc.cpp: In function `std::string peer_id2a(const std::string&)':
      bt_misc.cpp:231: warning: comparison is always true due to limited
      range of
      data type
      bt_misc.cpp:235: warning: comparison is always true due to limited
      range of
      data type
      bt_misc.cpp:235: warning: comparison is always true due to limited
      range of
      data type
      bt_peer_link.cpp: In member function `int
      Cbt_peer_link::read_message(const
      char*, const char*)':
      bt_peer_link.cpp:764: warning: comparison is always true due to
      limited range
      of data type

      Have you an idea why this error on unslung and no on openslung
      (apparently) . I think it is the problem why XBt don't download ,but
      work without others problems ( find peers, web interface, load torrent
      ... ). I try with GCC 3.4.4 on cross-compilation environement, same
      problem ? I don't know what can i update other :( ?

      Thx in advance.

      (My ./configure is ok, works on others systems x86).
    • CORNELIU DOBAN
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
        Have you tried to set the compiler option:
        -fsigned-char
        (Let the type char be signed, like signed char)

        On unslung char defaults to unsigned, but on most
        systems default to signed.
        So, poor written code can cause infinite loops on
        unslung.

        Example:

        char c;

        while ((c=fgetc(file_name)) != EOF)
        {
        /* do something */
        }

        fgetc returns an integer and the EOF constant is a
        negative number. So after converting the fgetc result
        to unsigned char it will never be equal to EOF.

        this is one case when the compiler will issue that
        warning.

        Good luck,
        Corneliu

        --- mcfly587 <mclain588@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I have create a ./configure for XBT torrent but i
        > have always a small
        > problem for unslung firmware ( he don't download )
        > !
        >
        > The application compil with 5 warnings :
        >
        > bt_misc.cpp: In function `std::string
        > peer_id2a(const std::string&)':
        > bt_misc.cpp:231: warning: comparison is always true
        > due to limited
        > range of
        > data type
        > bt_misc.cpp:235: warning: comparison is always true
        > due to limited
        > range of
        > data type
        > bt_misc.cpp:235: warning: comparison is always true
        > due to limited
        > range of
        > data type
        > bt_peer_link.cpp: In member function `int
        > Cbt_peer_link::read_message(const
        > char*, const char*)':
        > bt_peer_link.cpp:764: warning: comparison is always
        > true due to
        > limited range
        > of data type
        >
        > Have you an idea why this error on unslung and no on
        > openslung
        > (apparently) . I think it is the problem why XBt
        > don't download ,but
        > work without others problems ( find peers, web
        > interface, load torrent
        > ... ). I try with GCC 3.4.4 on cross-compilation
        > environement, same
        > problem ? I don't know what can i update other :(
        > ?
        >
        > Thx in advance.
        >
        > (My ./configure is ok, works on others systems x86).

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • mcfly587
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
          Thank you for your answer, no warning at compilation ... but he don't
          download ! :'(

          I don't understand. I don't know why.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN
          <corneliu_doban@y...> wrote:

          > Have you tried to set the compiler option:
          > -fsigned-char
          > (Let the type char be signed, like signed char)
          >
          > On unslung char defaults to unsigned, but on most
          > systems default to signed.
          > So, poor written code can cause infinite loops on
          > unslung.
          >
          > Example:
          >
          > char c;
          >
          > while ((c=fgetc(file_name)) != EOF)
          > {
          > /* do something */
          > }
          >
          > fgetc returns an integer and the EOF constant is a
          > negative number. So after converting the fgetc result
          > to unsigned char it will never be equal to EOF.
          >
          > this is one case when the compiler will issue that
          > warning.
          >
          > Good luck,
          > Corneliu
          >
          > --- mcfly587 <mclain588@h...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi everybody,
          > >
          > > I have create a ./configure for XBT torrent but i
          > > have always a small
          > > problem for unslung firmware ( he don't download )
          > > !
          > >
          > > The application compil with 5 warnings :
          > >
          > > bt_misc.cpp: In function `std::string
          > > peer_id2a(const std::string&)':
          > > bt_misc.cpp:231: warning: comparison is always true
          > > due to limited
          > > range of
          > > data type
          > > bt_misc.cpp:235: warning: comparison is always true
          > > due to limited
          > > range of
          > > data type
          > > bt_misc.cpp:235: warning: comparison is always true
          > > due to limited
          > > range of
          > > data type
          > > bt_peer_link.cpp: In member function `int
          > > Cbt_peer_link::read_message(const
          > > char*, const char*)':
          > > bt_peer_link.cpp:764: warning: comparison is always
          > > true due to
          > > limited range
          > > of data type
          > >
          > > Have you an idea why this error on unslung and no on
          > > openslung
          > > (apparently) . I think it is the problem why XBt
          > > don't download ,but
          > > work without others problems ( find peers, web
          > > interface, load torrent
          > > ... ). I try with GCC 3.4.4 on cross-compilation
          > > environement, same
          > > problem ? I don't know what can i update other :(
          > > ?
          > >
          > > Thx in advance.
          > >
          > > (My ./configure is ok, works on others systems x86).
          > >

          > __________________________________
          > http://farechase.yahoo.com

        • CORNELIU DOBAN
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
            Other thing that is different from the regular PC
            (IA32) is alignment, but usually you'll get a warning
            from the compiler like this one:
            warning: cast increases required alignment of target
            type

            ia32 processors silently fix up misaligned accesses in
            hardware.

            On the slug it can be fixed by the Linux kernel if
            configured (but is more expensive).
            I suggest that you try (as root):
            "echo 2 >/proc/cpu/alignment" on your slug to
            configure the kernel to fix the alignment errors and
            try to see if it works.

            good luck,
            Corneliu

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • mcfly587
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
              Success !!! It Works fine !! Thank you Very much !

              This parameter remain in configuration or i must enter the command to
              each reboot ?

              I think it is better to create a patch for application. That parameter
              consume many cpu source ... I suppose.

              Great Thanks for your help :)

              <corneliu_doban@y...> wrote:

              > Other thing that is different from the regular PC
              > (IA32) is alignment, but usually you'll get a warning
              > from the compiler like this one:
              > warning: cast increases required alignment of target
              > type
              >
              > ia32 processors silently fix up misaligned accesses in
              > hardware.
              >
              > On the slug it can be fixed by the Linux kernel if
              > configured (but is more expensive).
              > I suggest that you try (as root):
              > "echo 2 >/proc/cpu/alignment" on your slug to
              > configure the kernel to fix the alignment errors and
              > try to see if it works.
              >
              > good luck,
              > Corneliu
              >
              > --- mcfly587 <mclain588@h...> wrote:
              >
              > > Thank you for your answer, no warning at compilation
              > > ... but he don't
              > > download ! :'(
              > >
              > > I don't understand. I don't know why.
              > >

              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN
              > > <corneliu_doban@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Have you tried to set the compiler option:
              > > > -fsigned-char
              > > > (Let the type char be signed, like signed char)
              > > >
              > > > On unslung char defaults to unsigned, but on most
              > > > systems default to signed.
              > > > So, poor written code can cause infinite loops on
              > > > unslung.
              > > >
              > > > Example:
              > > >
              > > > char c;
              > > >
              > > > while ((c=fgetc(file_name)) != EOF)
              > > > {
              > > > /* do something */
              > > > }
              > > >
              > > > fgetc returns an integer and the EOF constant is a
              > > > negative number. So after converting the fgetc
              > > result
              > > > to unsigned char it will never be equal to EOF.
              > > >
              > > > this is one case when the compiler will issue that
              > > > warning.
              > > >
              > > > Good luck,
              > > > Corneliu

              > > )

              > > true
              > > true
              > > true
              > > always

              > > no on
              > > cross-compilation
              > > :(

              > > x86).
              > > > >

              > > > __________________________________
              > > > Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in
              > > one click.
              > > > http://farechase.yahoo.com

              > __________________________________
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • CORNELIU DOBAN
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                Yes, you should patch the application.
                There is a compiler option to turn on the alignment
                warnings, but I dont't remember it.
                Not all warnings are problems.
                To find out which one are causing problems, you should
                build the application with debug info and enable
                SIGBUS for misaligned access:
                "echo 5 >/proc/cpu/alignment"
                So, it will core at the first misaligned access and
                you will be able to fix them one by one.

                If you want to change the default behavior of the
                kernel regarding the misaligned access (which is
                IGNORE) you'll have to add the command in a startup
                script.

                Good luck

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • CORNELIU DOBAN
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 5, 2005
                  The compiler option to turn on alignement warnings is:
                  -Wcast-align

                  Let me know when you will have a package for unslung. I'm waiting anxious for it ;-)

                  good luck,
                  Corneliu

                  --- mcfly587 <mclain588@...> wrote:

                  > Success !!! It Works fine !! Thank you Very much !
                  >
                  > This parameter remain in configuration or i must
                  > enter  the command to
                  > each reboot ?
                  >
                  > I think it is better to create a patch for
                  > application. That parameter
                  > consume many cpu source ... I suppose.
                  >
                  > Great Thanks for your help :)
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN
                  > <corneliu_doban@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Other thing that is different from the regular PC
                  > > (IA32) is alignment, but usually you'll get a
                  > warning
                  > > from the compiler like this one:
                  > > warning: cast increases required alignment of
                  > target
                  > > type
                  > >
                  > > ia32 processors silently fix up misaligned
                  > accesses in
                  > > hardware.
                  > >
                  > > On the slug it can be fixed by the Linux kernel if
                  > > configured (but is more expensive).
                  > > I suggest that you try (as root):
                  > > "echo 2 >/proc/cpu/alignment" on your slug to
                  > > configure  the kernel to fix the alignment errors
                  > and
                  > > try to see if it works.
                  > >
                  > > good luck,
                  > > Corneliu
                  > >
                  > > --- mcfly587 <mclain588@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Thank you for your answer, no warning at
                  > compilation
                  > > > ... but he don't
                  > > > download ! :'(
                  > > >
                  > > > I don't understand. I don't know why.
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU
                  > DOBAN

                  > char)

                  > most
                  > on

                  > is a
                  > > > result
                  > EOF.

                  > that

                  > but
                  > download
                  > > > )

                  > always
                  > > > true
                  > always
                  > > > true
                  > always
                  > > > true
                  > > > always

                  > and
                  > > > no on
                  > XBt
                  > web
                  > > > cross-compilation
                  > other
                  > > > :(

                  > systems
                  > > > x86).

                  > in
                  > > > one click.

                  > > __________________________________
                  > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Buck Jeffcott
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 8, 2005

                    So were you able to get this to work on unslung?  If so, were you able to make a package for it? This thing looks awesome, but I would have no idea on how to compile and do it myself =/

                    <corneliu_doban@y...> wrote:

                    > Other thing that is different from the regular PC
                    > (IA32) is alignment, but usually you'll get a warning
                    > from the compiler like this one:
                    > warning: cast increases required alignment of target
                    > type
                    >
                    > ia32 processors silently fix up misaligned accesses in
                    > hardware.
                    >
                    > On the slug it can be fixed by the Linux kernel if
                    > configured (but is more expensive).
                    > I suggest that you try (as root):
                    > "echo 2 >/proc/cpu/alignment" on your slug to
                    > configure  the kernel to fix the alignment errors and
                    > try to see if it works.
                    >
                    > good luck,
                    > Corneliu
                    >
                    > --- mcfly587 <mclain588@h...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thank you for your answer, no warning at compilation
                    > > ... but he don't
                    > > download ! :'(
                    > >
                    > > I don't understand. I don't know why.
                    > >

                    > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN
                    > > <corneliu_doban@y...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Have you tried to set the compiler option:
                    > > > -fsigned-char
                    > > > (Let the type char be signed, like signed char)
                    > > >
                    > > > On unslung char defaults to unsigned, but on most
                    > > > systems default to signed.
                    > > > So, poor written code can cause infinite loops on
                    > > > unslung.
                    > > >
                    > > > Example:
                    > > >
                    > > > char c;
                    > > >
                    > > > while ((c=fgetc(file_name)) != EOF)
                    > > > {
                    > > > /* do something */
                    > > > }
                    > > >
                    > > > fgetc returns an integer and the EOF constant is a
                    > > > negative number. So after converting the fgetc
                    > > result
                    > > > to unsigned char it will never be equal to EOF.
                    > > >
                    > > > this is one case when the compiler will issue that
                    > > > warning.
                    > > >
                    > > > Good luck,
                    > > > Corneliu

                    > > )

                    > > true
                    > > true
                    > > true
                    > > always

                    > > no on
                    > > cross-compilation
                    > > :(

                    > > x86).
                    > > > >

                    > > > __________________________________
                    > > > Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in
                    > > one click.
                    > > > http://farechase.yahoo.com

                    > __________________________________
                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • CORNELIU DOBAN
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 8, 2005
                      Hi mcfly587:

                      The xbt has some portability issues that need to be
                      addressed first.

                      Let us know if you plan to fix it and make an unslung
                      package.
                      If not, probably I can spend some time on it next
                      weekend.

                      Thanks,
                      Corneliu

                      === message truncated ===

                      __________________________________
                      http://farechase.yahoo.com
                    • mcfly587
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 8, 2005
                        I search ... but it is difficult for me.

                        I'm not able to correct the application, i think.

                        I know language C and delphi but C++ i don't know :/

                        With time perhaps i'm able to correct it :)

                        i learn every day ...

                        I search .........

                        <corneliu_doban@y...> wrote:

                        > Hi mcfly587:
                        >
                        > The xbt has some portability issues that need to be
                        > addressed first.
                        >
                        > Let us know if you plan to fix it and make an unslung
                        > package.
                        > If not, probably I can spend some time on it next
                        > weekend.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Corneliu
                        >

                        > --- Buck Jeffcott <omegazero@c...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > So were you able to get this to work on unslung? If
                        > > so, were you able to
                        > > make a package for it? This thing looks awesome, but
                        > > I would have no idea on
                        > > how to compile and do it myself =/
                        > >

                        > > _____

                      • Jochen Rüter
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
                          Hi!

                          > I search ... but it is difficult for me.
                          >
                          > I'm not able to correct the application, i think.
                          >
                          > I know language C and delphi but C++ i don't know :

                          Any news about this? If not, I'll try to get it up & running...
                          I just compiled using the proposed "-Wcast-align" compiler option, but
                          this didn't trigger any warnings.
                          I'll try with "-Wall" and see if I see anything suspicious...

                          Jochen
                        • Jochen Rüter
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 16, 2005
                            > Let us know if you plan to fix it and make an unslung
                            > package.
                            > If not, probably I can spend some time on it next
                            > weekend.

                            Did you do some work on it? I know compiled everything with -ggdb,
                            attached gdb to the running xbt process and made it stop on SIGBUS. This
                            way I found a lot of stuff like

                            reinterpret_cast<__int32*>......

                            which indeed casts char* to int32*. It seems -Wcast-align doesn't notice
                            this...
                            So the problem is, I'm not sure how to fix it. Is there some "general
                            solution"? Or should I copy the for bytes one by one and put the into
                            the integer manually?
                            Any ideas?

                            Jochen
                          • CORNELIU DOBAN
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 17, 2005

                              Jochen Rüter <webseiten@...> wrote:
                              Hi,
                              > Let us know if you plan to fix it and make an unslung
                              > package.
                              > If not, probably I can spend some time on it next
                              > weekend.

                              Did you do some work on it?

                              No, I didn't have time.

                              I know compiled everything with -ggdb,
                              attached gdb to the running xbt process and made it stop on SIGBUS. This
                              way I found a lot of stuff like

                              reinterpret_cast<__int32*>......

                              which indeed casts char* to int32*. It seems -Wcast-align doesn't notice
                              this...
                              The reinterpret_cast is probably required in C++ because of it's strict type checking. Otherwise it will not compile or at least you'll get the warning.
                              Using reinterpret_cast asumes that the cast is valid (otherwise you are in trouble), but it looks that it's not the case.

                              So the problem is, I'm not sure how to fix it. Is there some "general
                              solution"? Or should I copy the for bytes one by one and put the into
                              the integer manually?
                              Any ideas?

                              No quick fix.
                              The pointer should point to a __int32 when it's initialized. Then it's value can be passed to a char* and safely back to a __int32*.
                              But if the pointer was pointing to a char when initialized, it will cause alignment problems.

                              Good Luck
                              Corneliu

                              Jochen

                            • Buck Jeffcott
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 24, 2005

                                Any closer to getting the pkg for this?

                                > Let us know if you plan to fix it and make an unslung
                                > package.
                                > If not, probably I can spend some time on it next
                                > weekend.

                                Did you do some work on it?

                                No, I didn't have time.

[...]

                              • kamideal
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                                  Hi can anyone tell me if there is a working version of the xbt client
                                  and backend for Openslug? Maybe someone can tell me which package i
                                  need to compile it working?

                                  Thx a lot.

                                  Cu Kami

                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Buck Jeffcott" <omegazero@c...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Any closer to getting the pkg for this?
                                  >

                                  > _____

                                  <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2ODgxNj

                                  kEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a/farechase
                                  > .yahoo.com/> FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

                                  > Communication

                                  cation+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+ns
                                  > lu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=ncJ7zHuN94kilWuTSDl3Vw> and networking
                                  >
                                  > Wireless

                                  1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=L
                                  > inksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=-1Cy7rgDdkUo3T3bGhOAAw> communication and
                                  > networking
                                  >
                                  > Linksys

                                  orking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.s
                                  > ig=j3mKdhnq2Dp0IwkO41UTZg> nslu2
                                  >

                                  > _____
                                  >
                                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                  >

                                  > * Visit your group "nslu2-linux
                                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux> " on the web.

                                  > _____

                                • CORNELIU DOBAN
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                                    Hi guys,

                                    I have installed unslung 5.5 and running apache and asterisk.
                                    Now that I changed my disk with a Maxtor OneTouch II which has a font LED, I can see disk activity every 2-5s.
                                    The most frequent tasks run by cron are hourly.
                                    By stopping apache and asterisk I was able to determine that asterisk is probably the cause, but no writes to it's log files are done.
                                    Even without apache and asterisk there is a disk access about each minute.

                                    Do you guys have any idea how to find out which process is accessing the disk and what is doing ?

                                    Is possible that this frequent disk access ruined my previous disk (in about 9 months) ?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Corneliu

                                    Yahoo! Shopping
                                  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                                      Message
                                      Install "lsof" - it lists open files. That in combination with "find", which can be used to check for files changed recently will probably nail it down. You may also modify the remount of your file systems temporarily to use ATIME, so reads access to files can be caught as well.

                                      best,

                                      -- Inge

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                                        CORNELIU DOBAN wrote:

                                        > Do you guys have any idea how to find out which process is accessing the
                                        > disk and what is doing ?

                                        Have you tried using lsof to find out which files asterisk has open, and
                                        then checking their timestamps?

                                        If you are not mounting your disk with noatime, it may be sucessive
                                        reads of the same data that are causing the disk activity, as even
                                        though the data itself is cached, the updated atimes have to be
                                        periodically written back to the disk.

                                        --
                                        Josh Parsons
                                        Philosophy Department

                                      • Phil Endecott
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 13, 2005
                                          > Do you guys have any idea how to find out which process is accessing the
                                          > disk and what is doing ?

                                          This will do exactly what you want, but it might take some effort to get it working. I have not yet heard of it being done on a Slug:

                                          --Phil.
                                        • Stanley P. Miller
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 13, 2005
                                            I was hearing some activity from my slug from time to time when not
                                            much was happening. Saw the noatime suggestion here and tried it with
                                            a nice reduction in the noise.

                                            fstab line:

                                            /dev/sda1 / ext2 defaults,noatime 1 1

                                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Endecott"
                                            <spam_from_nslu2_linux@c...> wrote:

                                            > > Do you guys have any idea how to find out which process is
                                            accessing the
                                            > > disk and what is doing ?
                                            >
                                            > This will do exactly what you want, but it might take some effort to
                                            get it working. I have not yet heard of it being done on a Slug:

                                            > --Phil.

                                          • CORNELIU DOBAN
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                                              Thanks Josh,

                                              I didn't have time to investigate the exact cause, but remounting the disk with noatime helped. Now the disk access has been reduced from 2-5s to 20-180s.

                                              Regards,
                                              Corneliu

                                              Josh Parsons <jbparsons@...> wrote:
                                              CORNELIU DOBAN wrote:

                                              > Do you guys have any idea how to find out which process is accessing the
                                              > disk and what is doing ?

                                              Have you tried using lsof to find out which files asterisk has open, and
                                              then checking their timestamps?

                                              If you are not mounting your disk with noatime, it may be sucessive
                                              reads of the same data that are causing the disk activity, as even
                                              though the data itself is cached, the updated atimes have to be
                                              periodically written back to the disk.

                                              --
                                              Josh Parsons
                                              Philosophy Department
                                              1238 Social Sciences and Humanities Bldg.
                                              University of California
                                              Davis, CA 95616-8673
                                              USA

                                              Yahoo! Shopping

                                            • spamman
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 26, 2006
                                                I too would love a web client for torrents on the slug...are there any other options that work on unslung?

                                                Thanks