Re: OpenSSH Server being hacked ???

  • dlubinsk
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
      Well I get around this with a linux box as one of my firewalls; this
      linux box has a secondary non-routable connection to my slug (which
      does sit behind a hardware firewall). I "knock" my linux box which
      in turn "knocks" my slug (via the non-routable connection). This
      opens the port on my slug and away I go.

      Regards,
      Don

      > Wow, what a great concept. I'd never run into this idea before,
      I'm
      > impressed.
      >
      > The main problem is that it won't work inside a firewall. Oh
      well,
      > I'd been wanting to set up a slug as a firewall anyway, but that
      > means I need two ethernet interfaces, and I have to deal with the
      > endian problem if I want to use the internal interface...
      >
      > Guess I'll buy a third slug to experiment with.
      >
      > Thanks for the pointer.
      >

      > On Nov 2, 2005, at 8:10 PM, dlubinsk wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > > Take at look at my howto on port knocking...this is one
      of
      > > the reasons I set this up...see if it's of use to you:
      > >
      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SecurityByPortKnocking
      > >
      > > My howto explains how to lock down ssh and gain entry when YOU
      want
      > > via knock.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Don

    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
        Well for "Linux box as one of my firewalls" I want to insert "slug".
        It seems like a natural for such a purpose if I can easily get two
        interfaces going.

        At present I'm using a commercially-available firewall box, but I
        need something I can hack on and not be limited to what the firmware
        lets me do.

        Anybody have an easy way to get two interfaces on a slug? Preferably
        using Unslung and not having to go with an entire Debian install.

        I have an old Cobalt Qube-2 (MIPS machine) with two interfaces, but
        that seems like overkill for a F/W.

        On Nov 2, 2005, at 8:54 PM, dlubinsk wrote:

        > Well I get around this with a linux box as one of my firewalls; this
        > linux box has a secondary non-routable connection to my slug (which
        > does sit behind a hardware firewall). I "knock" my linux box which
        > in turn "knocks" my slug (via the non-routable connection). This
        > opens the port on my slug and away I go.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Don

      • Tommy B
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
          Brian Wood wrote:

          A Pre-production round of Lofts are heading my way.
          Firewalling/QoS/IDS/IPS is an area I'm starting to look at.

          >Well for "Linux box as one of my firewalls" I want to insert "slug".
          >It seems like a natural for such a purpose if I can easily get two
          >interfaces going.
          >
          >At present I'm using a commercially-available firewall box, but I
          >need something I can hack on and not be limited to what the firmware
          >lets me do.
          >
          >Anybody have an easy way to get two interfaces on a slug? Preferably
          >using Unslung and not having to go with an entire Debian install.
          >
          >I have an old Cobalt Qube-2 (MIPS machine) with two interfaces, but
          >that seems like overkill for a F/W.
          >

          >On Nov 2, 2005, at 8:54 PM, dlubinsk wrote:
          >

          >>Well I get around this with a linux box as one of my firewalls; this
          >>linux box has a secondary non-routable connection to my slug (which
          >>does sit behind a hardware firewall). I "knock" my linux box which
          >>in turn "knocks" my slug (via the non-routable connection). This
          >>opens the port on my slug and away I go.
          >>
          >>Regards,
          >>Don
          >>

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • wifimax
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
            Thanks for all reply. I am reading and reading to find the best
            solution to prevent hackers login to my NSLU2 server.

            1. Change port number - It might work but I think about the hackers
            can use some port scanning program to know new port.
            2. Frequently changing my login password.
            3. Create a private/public key to login instead of using password
            4. Port knocking. I have to read more about this stuff. very interesting.

            Thanks

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dlubinsk" <dlubinsk@y...> wrote:

            > Well I get around this with a linux box as one of my firewalls; this
            > linux box has a secondary non-routable connection to my slug (which
            > does sit behind a hardware firewall). I "knock" my linux box which
            > in turn "knocks" my slug (via the non-routable connection). This
            > opens the port on my slug and away I go.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Don
            >

            > > Wow, what a great concept. I'd never run into this idea before,
            > I'm
            > > impressed.
            > >
            > > The main problem is that it won't work inside a firewall. Oh
            > well,
            > > I'd been wanting to set up a slug as a firewall anyway, but that
            > > means I need two ethernet interfaces, and I have to deal with the
            > > endian problem if I want to use the internal interface...
            > >
            > > Guess I'll buy a third slug to experiment with.
            > >
            > > Thanks for the pointer.
            > >

            > > On Nov 2, 2005, at 8:10 PM, dlubinsk wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi,
            > > > Take at look at my howto on port knocking...this is one
            > of
            > > > the reasons I set this up...see if it's of use to you:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SecurityByPortKnocking
            > > >
            > > > My howto explains how to lock down ssh and gain entry when YOU
            > want
            > > > via knock.
            > > >
            > > > Regards,
            > > > Don

          • jimmyfergus
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "wifimax" <wifimax@y...> wrote:
              > Thanks for all reply. I am reading and reading to find the best
              > solution to prevent hackers login to my NSLU2 server.
              >
              > 1. Change port number - It might work but I think about the hackers
              > can use some port scanning program to know new port.
              > 2. Frequently changing my login password.
              > 3. Create a private/public key to login instead of using password
              > 4. Port knocking. I have to read more about this stuff. very
              interesting.

              I'd have said 1 & 3 is enough for most of us. 2 will only help if
              they first hacked into your remote machine, and then failed to collect
              your private key when they harvested your password.

              Anyway, changing the port number will be effective unless someone is
              determined to target *you* specifically. Most of the attacks are
              scripts looking for the easiest targets. They're unlikely to do a
              full on port scan of you, unless they know who you are and are
              specifically motivated to get you.

              J.