Re: Problem w/joe

  • Adam Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
      s_k_w_m <fp@...> writes:

      > Forgive me if this is a simple question easily answered by looking at
      > the wiki, but I searched both the wiki and this group and couldn't
      > find an answer.
      >
      > I installed joe w/the command "ipkg install joe". After the install,
      > I tried running joe with the command "/opt/bin/joe", which returned
      > the error: "Couldn't load termcap/terminfo entry"
      >
      > What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this?

      It looks as though the ncurses package (which joe has a dependency on) is
      missing a dependency on termcap. The end user fix is just to ipkg install
      termcap, the developer fix is to add NCURSES_DEPENDS=termcap to
      make/ncurses.mk and bump the ipk version (unless someone knows of a reason
      this shouldn't be done - cvs.sf.net seems to be down at the moment so I
      can't check the log comments)
    • s_k_w_m
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
        Thanks for the quick response. I'll try this out. In the meantime,
        I've installed nano, which worked fine.
        -daniel

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Adam Baker <slug@b...> wrote:

        > It looks as though the ncurses package (which joe has a dependency
        on) is
        > missing a dependency on termcap. The end user fix is just to ipkg
        install
        > termcap, the developer fix is to add NCURSES_DEPENDS=termcap to
        > make/ncurses.mk and bump the ipk version (unless someone knows of a
        reason
        > this shouldn't be done - cvs.sf.net seems to be down at the moment so I
        > can't check the log comments)

      • Adam Baker
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2005
          s_k_w_m <fp@...> writes:

          > Thanks for the quick response. I'll try this out. In the meantime,
          > I've installed nano, which worked fine.
          > -daniel

          nano also uses ncurses so I suspect the termcap package is installed. The other
          possibility is that your TERM variable isn't set to something that is in
          termcap. Type "echo $TERM" and see if it is set to something sensible. Then type
          "find /opt/share/terminfo -name $TERM" if it prints a filename it knows about
          your terminal type, if it prints nothing your $TERM isn't recognised, possibly
          it is something like xterm-putty and a more generic value can be selected by
          typing "export TERM=xterm". The final possibility is that termcap really isn't
          installed in which case find will generate a directory not found error.