Re: uncompressed Kernel location in memory

  • Paul Bartholomew
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...> wrote:
      > (none Linux guy with a ? that maybe Kernel hackers could answer)
      >
      > Anyone tell me where in memory the Kernel is run from?
      >
      > vmlinuz is loaded and run from 0x01d00000; where is the subsequent
      un-
      > gzipped code placed in memory to run the Kernel?
      >
      > There looks to be a number of references to 0xC0xxxxxx from within
      it
      > (I assume to various texts).
      >
      > ...would just like to make sense of the decompiled Kernel code.

      I believe it's decompressed to *physical* memory address
      0x00008000. Then, I'm assuming virtual memory tables are setup to
      place the code in the 0xc0xxxxxx memory range. I think the
      0xc0xxxxxx range is a 1-to-1 with the physical (0xc0xx8000 virt is
      0x00008000 phys, etc).

      I'm not 100% sure of this, though - I'm going based on my memory
      (don't have the code sitting in front of me).

      - Paulb