Problem w/joe

  • s_k_w_m
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
      Forgive me if this is a simple question easily answered by looking at
      the wiki, but I searched both the wiki and this group and couldn't
      find an answer.

      I installed joe w/the command "ipkg install joe". After the install,
      I tried running joe with the command "/opt/bin/joe", which returned
      the error: "Couldn't load termcap/terminfo entry"

      What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this?

      Thanks!
    • Adam Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
        s_k_w_m <fp@...> writes:

        > Forgive me if this is a simple question easily answered by looking at
        > the wiki, but I searched both the wiki and this group and couldn't
        > find an answer.
        >
        > I installed joe w/the command "ipkg install joe". After the install,
        > I tried running joe with the command "/opt/bin/joe", which returned
        > the error: "Couldn't load termcap/terminfo entry"
        >
        > What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this?

        It looks as though the ncurses package (which joe has a dependency on) is
        missing a dependency on termcap. The end user fix is just to ipkg install
        termcap, the developer fix is to add NCURSES_DEPENDS=termcap to
        make/ncurses.mk and bump the ipk version (unless someone knows of a reason
        this shouldn't be done - cvs.sf.net seems to be down at the moment so I
        can't check the log comments)
      • s_k_w_m
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
          Thanks for the quick response. I'll try this out. In the meantime,
          I've installed nano, which worked fine.
          -daniel

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Adam Baker <slug@b...> wrote:

          > It looks as though the ncurses package (which joe has a dependency
          on) is
          > missing a dependency on termcap. The end user fix is just to ipkg
          install
          > termcap, the developer fix is to add NCURSES_DEPENDS=termcap to
          > make/ncurses.mk and bump the ipk version (unless someone knows of a
          reason
          > this shouldn't be done - cvs.sf.net seems to be down at the moment so I
          > can't check the log comments)

        • Adam Baker
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2005
            s_k_w_m <fp@...> writes:

            > Thanks for the quick response. I'll try this out. In the meantime,
            > I've installed nano, which worked fine.
            > -daniel

            nano also uses ncurses so I suspect the termcap package is installed. The other
            possibility is that your TERM variable isn't set to something that is in
            termcap. Type "echo $TERM" and see if it is set to something sensible. Then type
            "find /opt/share/terminfo -name $TERM" if it prints a filename it knows about
            your terminal type, if it prints nothing your $TERM isn't recognised, possibly
            it is something like xterm-putty and a more generic value can be selected by
            typing "export TERM=xterm". The final possibility is that termcap really isn't
            installed in which case find will generate a directory not found error.