Re: Need help in setting up mailserver

  • kev3010
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jimmyfergus"
      <yahoogroups.wjcf@x...> wrote:

      > --- "erwinquek" <erwin@e...> wrote:
      > > I am a newbie in terms of Linux. Have successfully Unslug my box and
      > > ran several applications off it. Great product!
      > >
      > > Now looking forward to run mail server off it. Have searched the
      wiki
      > > but could not find any that will help me.
      >
      > This should help a bit:
      >
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer
      >
      > - though it looks pretty disorganized and some bits may be out of
      > date. I'm planning to do the same work myself, but haven't made the
      > time yet. I'm kind of hoping that the Debian option will blossom
      > soon, which is reducing my enthusiasm for getting my OpenSlug
      configured.

      > The Wiki seems to be creaking under the weight of the variety of slug
      > installations - Unslung, OpenSlug, *DebianSlug etc.. It's often
      > unclear which howto refers to which version.
      >
      > Webmail may or may not be a bigger issue. There was talk in this
      > group of someone getting Squirrelmail to work, which is a pretty
      > decent webmail package, but I haven't seen mention of it again, and I
      > haven't found much in the Wiki.
      >
      > J.

      I was somewhat successful getting RoundCube webmail working using the
      link above and a guide linked below helping to set it up. Performance
      was so-so, but RoundCube seems to be an excellent webmail client.
      However I ran into problems getting the mailserver working correctly
      on the NSLU2. See these links:

      http://www.roundcube.net/

      http://www.paulstamatiou.com/2005/10/29/how-to-setup-roundcube-webmail-on-your-server/
    • nbm_clan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        <yahoogroups.wjcf@x...> wrote:

        > The Wiki seems to be creaking under the weight of the variety of slug
        > installations - Unslung, OpenSlug, *DebianSlug etc.. It's often
        > unclear which howto refers to which version.

        No kidding...

        > Webmail may or may not be a bigger issue. There was talk in this
        > group of someone getting Squirrelmail to work, which is a pretty
        > decent webmail package, but I haven't seen mention of it again, and I
        > haven't found much in the Wiki.

        I'm planning on doing the SquirrelMail thing (once my new slug arrives
        this week), from the SM docs it looks like it should work fine, all
        you need is a web server (I assume thttpd will be fine), php, and
        perl. And of course an IMAP server. Should be a cakewalk (famous
        last words).
      • jimmyfergus
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          --- "nbm_clan" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:
          > I'm planning on doing the SquirrelMail thing (once my new slug arrives
          > this week), from the SM docs it looks like it should work fine, all
          > you need is a web server (I assume thttpd will be fine), php, and
          > perl. And of course an IMAP server. Should be a cakewalk (famous
          > last words).

          I think I remember searching around this group, and seeing some IMAP
          complication - searching back for SquirrelMail should find it. It
          wasn't clear to me whether it'd been solved.

          I used OpenSlug, and the php-thttpd package wasn't available a couple
          of weeks ago, and I haven't worked through how to compile, or
          alternatively to install unslung packages, so that may be a
          (surmountable) issue.

          Please Wikify your findings! I'm interested but short on time to play.

          RoundCubeMail looks very cool (sibling post), though early stages so
          far (e.g. no search, last time I looked). It'd be interesting to know
          how they compare in performance. SM is mature and feature rich, RCM
          looks slick with AJAX goodness.

          James.