RE: [nslu2-linux] Password probems after installing 5.5beta

  • jani.halmetoja@wlanmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
      Make a copy of the password file before you attach the external disk,
      because the moment you attach the disk, the password file will be
      overwritten by the one from external disk.

      So the way I did it was to make copy of the password file and saved
      that to root directory.. and after the attachment I replaced the disk
      password file with the "root" password file. And after a boot the disk
      password file overwrites the /etc/passwd file and everything should
      work just fine..

      Quoting Will Stanley <hwstanley@...>:

      > If I boot without the disk attached, admin and root/uNSLUng both work.
      > However, after changing the password, attaching the external disk, and
      > copying /etc/passwd to everyplace I can think of, things still don't stick
      > after a reboot.

    • Kai Steinbach
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        Roland,

        thanks for your info.

        On 11/2/05, rolandkbs <roland.krebs@...> wrote:
        > Have you followed the HowTo
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine ?

        This explains how to change a password when your disk is connected and
        working. Will's situation is that he cannot boot with the disk
        attached.

        I think what would help for Will would be something that explains:

        1. how to recover bad password change attemps by copying from flash to
        disk. This should include recreating the softlink, copying the
        "passwd" binary and copying the actual passwd data file - all 3 in
        there correct places.
        2. how to change the password in the flash of the NSLU2. This should
        include the warning that screwing THIS up means to re-flash.

        Maybe those 2 things could go on the password Howto page, too, or
        could be linked somewhere on howtorecoverfrombadflash ...

        I'm currently away from my slugs, so if anyone can provide this info
        to Will, that might help him without the reflash / re-unsling'ing.
        Fingers crossed!

        Kai
      • Ben
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
          I had this problem, and I'm really quite proud that I managed to
          solve it - in almost exactly the same way. I did the passwd change,
          then did cp passwd passwd1 before hot plugging in the USB drive.
          Then I used cp passwd1 /../passwd (/../ is the path on the "how to"

          Must have worked - I can telnet in (when I remember to enable it)
          and I'm currently listening to my mp3 collection being served across
          my wireless lan from the slug :-)

          Quite impressed - not bad for a linux numpty!

          Cheers

          Ben