RE: [nslu2-linux] Password probems after installing 5.5beta

  • Will Stanley
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
      If I boot without the disk attached, admin and root/uNSLUng both work.  However, after changing the password, attaching the external disk, and copying /etc/passwd to everyplace I can think of, things still don't stick after a reboot.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        Have you followed the HowTo
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine ?
        If not, I had the same problem until I used Sercomm to reflash. See
        also http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware

        Roland

      • jani.halmetoja@wlanmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
          Make a copy of the password file before you attach the external disk,
          because the moment you attach the disk, the password file will be
          overwritten by the one from external disk.

          So the way I did it was to make copy of the password file and saved
          that to root directory.. and after the attachment I replaced the disk
          password file with the "root" password file. And after a boot the disk
          password file overwrites the /etc/passwd file and everything should
          work just fine..

          Quoting Will Stanley <hwstanley@...>:

          > If I boot without the disk attached, admin and root/uNSLUng both work.
          > However, after changing the password, attaching the external disk, and
          > copying /etc/passwd to everyplace I can think of, things still don't stick
          > after a reboot.

        • Kai Steinbach
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
            Roland,

            thanks for your info.

            On 11/2/05, rolandkbs <roland.krebs@...> wrote:
            > Have you followed the HowTo
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine ?

            This explains how to change a password when your disk is connected and
            working. Will's situation is that he cannot boot with the disk
            attached.

            I think what would help for Will would be something that explains:

            1. how to recover bad password change attemps by copying from flash to
            disk. This should include recreating the softlink, copying the
            "passwd" binary and copying the actual passwd data file - all 3 in
            there correct places.
            2. how to change the password in the flash of the NSLU2. This should
            include the warning that screwing THIS up means to re-flash.

            Maybe those 2 things could go on the password Howto page, too, or
            could be linked somewhere on howtorecoverfrombadflash ...

            I'm currently away from my slugs, so if anyone can provide this info
            to Will, that might help him without the reflash / re-unsling'ing.
            Fingers crossed!

            Kai
          • Ben
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
              I had this problem, and I'm really quite proud that I managed to
              solve it - in almost exactly the same way. I did the passwd change,
              then did cp passwd passwd1 before hot plugging in the USB drive.
              Then I used cp passwd1 /../passwd (/../ is the path on the "how to"

              Must have worked - I can telnet in (when I remember to enable it)
              and I'm currently listening to my mp3 collection being served across
              my wireless lan from the slug :-)

              Quite impressed - not bad for a linux numpty!

              Cheers

              Ben