Need help in setting up mailserver

  • erwinquek
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      I am a newbie in terms of Linux. Have successfully Unslug my box and
      ran several applications off it. Great product!

      Now looking forward to run mail server off it. Have searched the wiki
      but could not find any that will help me.

      Appriciate if someone will guide me setting up the following with as
      detailed instructions as possible (sorry, me very new to linux):-

      1) mailserver that supports pop (if possible IMAP too)
      2) setting up webmail to access the above

      Looking forward to any help coming my way, Thanks in advanced!
    • jimmyfergus
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- "erwinquek" <erwin@e...> wrote:
        > I am a newbie in terms of Linux. Have successfully Unslug my box and
        > ran several applications off it. Great product!
        >
        > Now looking forward to run mail server off it. Have searched the wiki
        > but could not find any that will help me.

        This should help a bit:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer

        - though it looks pretty disorganized and some bits may be out of
        date. I'm planning to do the same work myself, but haven't made the
        time yet. I'm kind of hoping that the Debian option will blossom
        soon, which is reducing my enthusiasm for getting my OpenSlug configured.

        The Wiki seems to be creaking under the weight of the variety of slug
        installations - Unslung, OpenSlug, *DebianSlug etc.. It's often
        unclear which howto refers to which version.

        Webmail may or may not be a bigger issue. There was talk in this
        group of someone getting Squirrelmail to work, which is a pretty
        decent webmail package, but I haven't seen mention of it again, and I
        haven't found much in the Wiki.

        J.
      • kev3010
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jimmyfergus"
          <yahoogroups.wjcf@x...> wrote:

          > --- "erwinquek" <erwin@e...> wrote:
          > > I am a newbie in terms of Linux. Have successfully Unslug my box and
          > > ran several applications off it. Great product!
          > >
          > > Now looking forward to run mail server off it. Have searched the
          wiki
          > > but could not find any that will help me.
          >
          > This should help a bit:
          >
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer
          >
          > - though it looks pretty disorganized and some bits may be out of
          > date. I'm planning to do the same work myself, but haven't made the
          > time yet. I'm kind of hoping that the Debian option will blossom
          > soon, which is reducing my enthusiasm for getting my OpenSlug
          configured.

          > The Wiki seems to be creaking under the weight of the variety of slug
          > installations - Unslung, OpenSlug, *DebianSlug etc.. It's often
          > unclear which howto refers to which version.
          >
          > Webmail may or may not be a bigger issue. There was talk in this
          > group of someone getting Squirrelmail to work, which is a pretty
          > decent webmail package, but I haven't seen mention of it again, and I
          > haven't found much in the Wiki.
          >
          > J.

          I was somewhat successful getting RoundCube webmail working using the
          link above and a guide linked below helping to set it up. Performance
          was so-so, but RoundCube seems to be an excellent webmail client.
          However I ran into problems getting the mailserver working correctly
          on the NSLU2. See these links:

          http://www.roundcube.net/

          http://www.paulstamatiou.com/2005/10/29/how-to-setup-roundcube-webmail-on-your-server/
        • nbm_clan
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
            <yahoogroups.wjcf@x...> wrote:

            > The Wiki seems to be creaking under the weight of the variety of slug
            > installations - Unslung, OpenSlug, *DebianSlug etc.. It's often
            > unclear which howto refers to which version.

            No kidding...

            > Webmail may or may not be a bigger issue. There was talk in this
            > group of someone getting Squirrelmail to work, which is a pretty
            > decent webmail package, but I haven't seen mention of it again, and I
            > haven't found much in the Wiki.

            I'm planning on doing the SquirrelMail thing (once my new slug arrives
            this week), from the SM docs it looks like it should work fine, all
            you need is a web server (I assume thttpd will be fine), php, and
            perl. And of course an IMAP server. Should be a cakewalk (famous
            last words).
          • jimmyfergus
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
              --- "nbm_clan" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:
              > I'm planning on doing the SquirrelMail thing (once my new slug arrives
              > this week), from the SM docs it looks like it should work fine, all
              > you need is a web server (I assume thttpd will be fine), php, and
              > perl. And of course an IMAP server. Should be a cakewalk (famous
              > last words).

              I think I remember searching around this group, and seeing some IMAP
              complication - searching back for SquirrelMail should find it. It
              wasn't clear to me whether it'd been solved.

              I used OpenSlug, and the php-thttpd package wasn't available a couple
              of weeks ago, and I haven't worked through how to compile, or
              alternatively to install unslung packages, so that may be a
              (surmountable) issue.

              Please Wikify your findings! I'm interested but short on time to play.

              RoundCubeMail looks very cool (sibling post), though early stages so
              far (e.g. no search, last time I looked). It'd be interesting to know
              how they compare in performance. SM is mature and feature rich, RCM
              looks slick with AJAX goodness.

              James.