Re: NTFS mount problem

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "SarwarShahzad"
      > > "mount -t ufsd.o -o rw,uid=501,gid=501, /dev/sdb1 /share/hdd/data"

      > One more question: For some reason only root user has the write
      > access to ntfs data not other users. others can just read.

      I think what he meant was replace the 501 uid/gid's above with the #'s
      of your "guest" account (grep guest /etc/group). You only have root
      access to it because root always has rw privs.
    • SarwarShahzad
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "SarwarShahzad"
        > > > "mount -t ufsd.o -o
        rw,uid=501,gid=501, /dev/sdb1 /share/hdd/data"

        > > One more question: For some reason only root user has the write
        > > access to ntfs data not other users. others can just read.
        >
        > I think what he meant was replace the 501 uid/gid's above with the
        #'s
        > of your "guest" account (grep guest /etc/group). You only have
        root
        > access to it because root always has rw privs.

        Frenchy, Thank you so much. I had just overlooked "uid" and "gid"
        part in Bharat's response. Since I had turned off guest account
        through linksys interface. I used uid=2000 (whih is id for my mostly
        used user) and now I can write/update/delete on my ntfs partition
        using both telnet and samab.

        Regards!
        Shahzad