Re: [nslu2-linux] Imaging the SLUG Drive

  • Attila Csipa
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      On Tuesday 01 November 2005 07:22, Brian Wood wrote:
      > I've never tried it, but I see that "dd" is there. Something like
      > "dd if=/dev/sda(n) of=/dev/sdb(n) should make an image of a
      > partition, not an entire drive.

      What is nice with this approach that you can do it with of=somefile and you
      can actually mount and modify the resulting image file on some other machine.
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 06:01 +0000, chandersawh wrote:

        > Is there a tool/script/utility avilable to take an image of the SLUG
        > drive to one to quickly restore on disaster?

        Why do you need an image. It's not the holy grail of making
        backups. It's nice for os partitions so that you don't need
        to reinstall your os but thats also possible with other backup
        solutions.

        For normal data i would make a normal backup with tar or
        use rsync to an other disk or system.

        Marceln