Password probems after installing 5.5beta

  • Will Stanley
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2005
      I'm a newbie to this and after unslinging the disk, I forgot to change
      the root password before a reboot. I then powered power cycled the
      slug with no disks attached, changed the password, attached the disk,
      and copied /etc/passwd to all the recommended places. After a power
      cycle with disk attached, not only did the root password not stick,
      but now the maintenance account (admin/admin) doesn't work anymore.
      I've tried multiple iterationsof this, copying the passwd file to
      anyplace that find locates. Any ideas? Should I just nuke it and
      start over?
    • Kai Steinbach
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        Will,

        On 11/1/05, Will Stanley <hwstanley@...> wrote:
        > I'm a newbie to this and after unslinging the disk, I forgot to change
        > the root password before a reboot. I then powered power cycled the
        > slug with no disks attached, changed the password, attached the disk,
        > and copied /etc/passwd to all the recommended places. After a power
        > cycle with disk attached, not only did the root password not stick,
        > but now the maintenance account (admin/admin) doesn't work anymore.
        > I've tried multiple iterationsof this, copying the passwd file to
        > anyplace that find locates. Any ideas? Should I just nuke it and
        > start over?

        What works if you boot without disk now? admin works, root/uNSLUng
        works? If so, you can probably recover what is messed up on the
        disk...

        Let us know. Kai.
      • Will Stanley
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
          If I boot without the disk attached, admin and root/uNSLUng both work.  However, after changing the password, attaching the external disk, and copying /etc/passwd to everyplace I can think of, things still don't stick after a reboot.
          > I'm a newbie to this and after unslinging the disk, I forgot to change
          > the root password before a reboot.  I then powered power cycled the
          > slug with no disks attached, changed the password, attached the disk,
          > and copied /etc/passwd to all the recommended places.  After a power
          > cycle with disk attached, not only did the root password not stick,
          > but now the maintenance account (admin/admin) doesn't work anymore.
          > I've tried multiple iterationsof this, copying the passwd file to
          > anyplace that find locates.  Any ideas?   Should I just nuke it and
          > start over?

          What works if you boot without disk now? admin works, root/uNSLUng
          works? If so, you can probably recover what is messed up on the
          disk...

          Let us know. Kai.
        • rolandkbs
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
            Have you followed the HowTo
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine ?
            If not, I had the same problem until I used Sercomm to reflash. See
            also http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware

            Roland

          • jani.halmetoja@wlanmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
              Make a copy of the password file before you attach the external disk,
              because the moment you attach the disk, the password file will be
              overwritten by the one from external disk.

              So the way I did it was to make copy of the password file and saved
              that to root directory.. and after the attachment I replaced the disk
              password file with the "root" password file. And after a boot the disk
              password file overwrites the /etc/passwd file and everything should
              work just fine..

              Quoting Will Stanley <hwstanley@...>:

              > If I boot without the disk attached, admin and root/uNSLUng both work.
              > However, after changing the password, attaching the external disk, and
              > copying /etc/passwd to everyplace I can think of, things still don't stick
              > after a reboot.

            • Kai Steinbach
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
                Roland,

                thanks for your info.

                On 11/2/05, rolandkbs <roland.krebs@...> wrote:
                > Have you followed the HowTo
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine ?

                This explains how to change a password when your disk is connected and
                working. Will's situation is that he cannot boot with the disk
                attached.

                I think what would help for Will would be something that explains:

                1. how to recover bad password change attemps by copying from flash to
                disk. This should include recreating the softlink, copying the
                "passwd" binary and copying the actual passwd data file - all 3 in
                there correct places.
                2. how to change the password in the flash of the NSLU2. This should
                include the warning that screwing THIS up means to re-flash.

                Maybe those 2 things could go on the password Howto page, too, or
                could be linked somewhere on howtorecoverfrombadflash ...

                I'm currently away from my slugs, so if anyone can provide this info
                to Will, that might help him without the reflash / re-unsling'ing.
                Fingers crossed!

                Kai
              • Ben
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
                  I had this problem, and I'm really quite proud that I managed to
                  solve it - in almost exactly the same way. I did the passwd change,
                  then did cp passwd passwd1 before hot plugging in the USB drive.
                  Then I used cp passwd1 /../passwd (/../ is the path on the "how to"

                  Must have worked - I can telnet in (when I remember to enable it)
                  and I'm currently listening to my mp3 collection being served across
                  my wireless lan from the slug :-)

                  Quite impressed - not bad for a linux numpty!

                  Cheers

                  Ben