Imaging the SLUG Drive

  • chandersawh
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
      Is there a tool/script/utility avilable to take an image of the SLUG
      drive to one to quickly restore on disaster?

      I am looking for something like Norton Ghost/Drive Image, when these
      programs take a bit4bit image of your drive and can restore with some
      ease.

      I read the 'HowToBackUp...slug howto' but this is not as straight
      forward as what I a asking.

      Thanks
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
        I've never tried it, but I see that "dd" is there. Something like
        "dd if=/dev/sda(n) of=/dev/sdb(n) should make an image of a
        partition, not an entire drive.

        If you can connect the drive to another machine, I've seen a Linux
        clone of Ghost around, Do a search for "SystemRescue CD, this will
        boot an i86 machine and allow you to image a drive partition.

        On Oct 31, 2005, at 11:01 PM, chandersawh wrote:

        > Is there a tool/script/utility avilable to take an image of the SLUG
        > drive to one to quickly restore on disaster?
        >
        > I am looking for something like Norton Ghost/Drive Image, when these
        > programs take a bit4bit image of your drive and can restore with some
        > ease.
        >
        > I read the 'HowToBackUp...slug howto' but this is not as straight
        > forward as what I a asking.
        >
        > Thanks
      • Attila Csipa
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
          On Tuesday 01 November 2005 07:22, Brian Wood wrote:
          > I've never tried it, but I see that "dd" is there. Something like
          > "dd if=/dev/sda(n) of=/dev/sdb(n) should make an image of a
          > partition, not an entire drive.

          What is nice with this approach that you can do it with of=somefile and you
          can actually mount and modify the resulting image file on some other machine.
        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
            On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 06:01 +0000, chandersawh wrote:

            > Is there a tool/script/utility avilable to take an image of the SLUG
            > drive to one to quickly restore on disaster?

            Why do you need an image. It's not the holy grail of making
            backups. It's nice for os partitions so that you don't need
            to reinstall your os but thats also possible with other backup
            solutions.

            For normal data i would make a normal backup with tar or
            use rsync to an other disk or system.

            Marceln