uncompressed Kernel location in memory

  • phew_uk2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31 2:23 PM
      (none Linux guy with a ? that maybe Kernel hackers could answer)

      Anyone tell me where in memory the Kernel is run from?

      vmlinuz is loaded and run from 0x01d00000; where is the subsequent un-
      gzipped code placed in memory to run the Kernel?

      There looks to be a number of references to 0xC0xxxxxx from within it
      (I assume to various texts).

      ...would just like to make sense of the decompiled Kernel code.

      phew.
    • Paul Bartholomew
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31 3:35 PM
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...> wrote:
        > (none Linux guy with a ? that maybe Kernel hackers could answer)
        >
        > Anyone tell me where in memory the Kernel is run from?
        >
        > vmlinuz is loaded and run from 0x01d00000; where is the subsequent
        un-
        > gzipped code placed in memory to run the Kernel?
        >
        > There looks to be a number of references to 0xC0xxxxxx from within
        it
        > (I assume to various texts).
        >
        > ...would just like to make sense of the decompiled Kernel code.

        I believe it's decompressed to *physical* memory address
        0x00008000. Then, I'm assuming virtual memory tables are setup to
        place the code in the 0xc0xxxxxx memory range. I think the
        0xc0xxxxxx range is a 1-to-1 with the physical (0xc0xx8000 virt is
        0x00008000 phys, etc).

        I'm not 100% sure of this, though - I'm going based on my memory
        (don't have the code sitting in front of me).

        - Paulb