Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: DropBear Problem - Lack of Entropy

  • Brian Wood
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2005
      Well, I've discovered that if I just wait a while after re-booting
      Dropbear will work OK. I also tried a script that simply moves all my
      iTunes music from one directory to another and then back, and that
      seems to work too, so the system may be using hard drive interrupt
      timings to generate entropy, it certainly is not using keyboard
      timings :-) These "solutions" are not real great, especially when
      working on something that requires a lot of re-boots.

      Entropy on small systems has always been a problem, I've run into it
      on my Linux Laptop with GPG in the past. "Real" randomness has always
      been a problem with computers in general (can you say "non-
      statistical pseudo-random?). I suspect that as I pile more jobs onto
      my slug the issue will become moot.

      In the meantime, being pragmatic, I am simply using openSSH with no
      problems. It may be using strings of zeros, and security may be
      reduced, but that's not an issue with me, and being able to log in
      immediately is :-).