Please Help - Re: NFS root on OpenDebianSlug

  • jimmyfergus
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, John Bowler <jbowler@a...> wrote:

      > From: jimmyfergus
      > >Is there some configuration I should do to make the file locking work?
      >
      > I'm surprised that file locking failures would affect the installer,
      particularly when there is no explicit error message, but I
      > know how to make it work...

      Well, apt-get update may or may not have worked (there were only
      warnings), but subsequent apt-get dist-upgrade and installs failed.
      They issued the same warnings, a final failure message (don't have it
      to hand), and the action was not taken.

      > A better configuration might be to mount tmpfs on /var, but that
      won't work if you need a significant amount of /var space (i.e.
      > approaching the amount of RAM.)

      I tried a bit of that - it may yet work, but /etc/apt was the problem
      directory. I assumed I'd have to move it to tmpfs, do the work, then
      copy it back... This is in the OpenDebianSlug installation procedure,
      before first Debian boot.

      Anyway, I'll do some more exploring... Perhaps I just need to do the
      Debian install on a USB disk and then move it to NFS after.

      Thanks,

      James.