Proftpd - how to start it?

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2005
      Hello,

      I have a problem with proftpd, i don't know how to start it. (I use unslung 5.5 beta)

      I followed the instructions that are in the WIKI: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Proftpd

      I have first tried it with xinetd, but the command that is in the Howto says: kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/run/xinetd.pid` <- isn't that to kill the process?

      So then i tried it as a standalone, i know i can run it with the command:
      /opt/etc/init.d/S58proftpd

      But when i do ps -aux the process proftpd is not listed, and when i try to ftp to the Nslu2 i get the error: "Connection failed - connection refused - connect".

      Does that mean I can connect but he just does not accept my login/pasw or is the proces not running?

      I have also installed openssh, so i followed the instructions in the wiki on "how  to configure proftpd for ssl/tls authentication/encryption

      I hope someone could help me with this.

      Thanx

      Richard