Re: TiVo HMO server?

  • suicidechump
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 30, 2004
      Well, I'm interested.

      Other than the impressively long cataloging time... are there any
      practical issues with serving MP3s? I mean, with that big memory
      image, does it seem responsive enough to serve those MP3s without
      pauses or clicks?

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
      > I tried porting my copy of byRequest over to the nslu2 over the
      > weekend. Once I had a working cross-compilation chain, it compiled
      > with no problems, and worked fine for serving mp3 files.
      >
      > I then tried some experiments to see the memory impact bringing in a
      > large number of mp3 files. This used the "-preload" switch in
      > byRequest, which builds an in-memory database of all exported files.
      >
      > Bringing in a collection of a bit over 12,500 files took a couple of
      > hours, and ended up with a memory image of around 15 megabytes.
      (On a
      > relatively current Athlon system, this takes 5-10 minutes). This
      > reflects both the speed of the Arm cpu in the nslu2, and the usb2.0
      > bus speed. On the whole though this should be usable.
      >
      > There are some things that can be done to reduce memory usage. I
      > could get a small amount by not compiling in trans-coding and jpeg
      > support (at least until tools are ported to support these...). A
      more
      > significant change would be changing how file information is
      stored.
      > I have some ideas, we'll see...
      >
      > It also might be interesting to support iTunes (e.g., provide the
      same
      > support as mt-daapd)...
      >
      > If I read Brian's messages correctly, he's already provided a url to
      > get his port of byRequest. If people are interested I can also
      post mine.
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 31, 2004
        I'm interested! I only have about 800-900 MP3s so my collection
        shouldn't impact it to hard.

        Thanks for your hard work.

        Dan
        (Dan203 - Moderator TiVo Community Forum)

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
        > I tried porting my copy of byRequest over to the nslu2 over the
        > weekend. Once I had a working cross-compilation chain, it compiled
        > with no problems, and worked fine for serving mp3 files.
        >
        > I then tried some experiments to see the memory impact bringing in a
        > large number of mp3 files. This used the "-preload" switch in
        > byRequest, which builds an in-memory database of all exported files.
        >
        > Bringing in a collection of a bit over 12,500 files took a couple of
        > hours, and ended up with a memory image of around 15 megabytes. (On a
        > relatively current Athlon system, this takes 5-10 minutes). This
        > reflects both the speed of the Arm cpu in the nslu2, and the usb2.0
        > bus speed. On the whole though this should be usable.
        >
        > There are some things that can be done to reduce memory usage. I
        > could get a small amount by not compiling in trans-coding and jpeg
        > support (at least until tools are ported to support these...). A more
        > significant change would be changing how file information is stored.
        > I have some ideas, we'll see...
        >
        > It also might be interesting to support iTunes (e.g., provide the same
        > support as mt-daapd)...
        >
        > If I read Brian's messages correctly, he's already provided a url to
        > get his port of byRequest. If people are interested I can also post
        mine.
      • davidclemans
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 31, 2004
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dan6992@h...> wrote:
          > I'm interested! I only have about 800-900 MP3s so my collection
          > shouldn't impact it to hard.
          >
          > Thanks for your hard work.
          >
          > Dan
          > (Dan203 - Moderator TiVo Community Forum)

          So far the port seems to be stable. I'll try to upload a copy of the
          arm binary to the byRequest project area on sourceforge; maybe
          tomorrow night.

          Thanks,
          dgc
        • davidclemans
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 31, 2004
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
            <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
            > Well, I'm interested.
            >
            > Other than the impressively long cataloging time... are there any
            > practical issues with serving MP3s? I mean, with that big memory
            > image, does it seem responsive enough to serve those MP3s without
            > pauses or clicks?

            In the limited testing I've done, it seems fine. My guess is that its
            usability depends on two things...
            1. the quality of the network link between the tivo and the nslu2
            2. any "contention"; e.g., are you trying to copy gigabytes between
            another disk and a nslu2 disk at the same time...

            In general the tivo copies large amounts of mp3 data into a local
            buffer and then plays from there. For low bit rate files (like old
            time radio) it might buffer a full half-hour show; e.g. a large burst
            of network activity at the beginning of the half hour, and little for
            the rest of the half hour.

            dgc
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 1, 2004
              I'm only looking to play music files, most encoded at 224kbps, so this
              should work great for me. I'm not going to receive my NSLU2 until
              Friday, then I have to hook everything up and make sure it works
              first. After that I'll jump into the hacking.

              Any chance you could layout a quick list of steps required to get this
              working? (I'm a Linux newbee)

              Dan

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
              > <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
              > > Well, I'm interested.
              > >
              > > Other than the impressively long cataloging time... are there any
              > > practical issues with serving MP3s? I mean, with that big memory
              > > image, does it seem responsive enough to serve those MP3s without
              > > pauses or clicks?
              > >

              > In the limited testing I've done, it seems fine. My guess is that its
              > usability depends on two things...
              > 1. the quality of the network link between the tivo and the nslu2
              > 2. any "contention"; e.g., are you trying to copy gigabytes between
              > another disk and a nslu2 disk at the same time...
              >
              > In general the tivo copies large amounts of mp3 data into a local
              > buffer and then plays from there. For low bit rate files (like old
              > time radio) it might buffer a full half-hour show; e.g. a large burst
              > of network activity at the beginning of the half hour, and little for
              > the rest of the half hour.
              >
              > dgc
            • jeremyclark_1974
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 2, 2004
                Brian (or David) - any updates on running an HMO server on the NSLU2?

                I managed to find the byRequest port for NSLU2 on Brian's site (the
                site seems to be down, got the link through Google cache), copied it
                over to /share/hdd/conf/bin where I made a folder for it, edited the
                conf file to what I thought would work. I run byRequest with the
                conf as the only parameter, and it seems to try to run, though if I
                view the log file afterwards I get "Unable to bind address to
                socket" as an error. I think it quits at this point as I don't see
                it in ps and Tivo can't find the share.

                Any suggestions? Aside from the files in the folder for byRequest,
                are there any dependencies I need? what about the vsound and splay
                tools?

                Any tips you might have on configuring/setting byRequest up on the
                NSLU2 would be really helpful. I'd love to be able to share my MP3s
                (and my photos eventually) with my Tivo without having my desktop
                turned on!

                Cheers,
                Jeremy

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian A. Lantz" <brian@l...>
                wrote:
                > > I haven't looked at ptivohmo recently, but I did play with it a
                bit
                > > before I wrote the original "byRequest".
                > >
                > > I don't know at what point Brian forked his copy, ...
                >
                > My patches are to the current version of byRequest. I've been
                meaning to
                > contribute them to the main fork, but haven't gotten around to it
                yet...

                > Brian
              • Brian A. Lantz
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                  Try adding '-debug' as the first parameter, and see what error(s) it reports.

                  Brian A. Lantz brian@... http://www.lantz.com

                  > Brian (or David) - any updates on running an HMO server on the NSLU2?
                  >
                  > I managed to find the byRequest port for NSLU2 on Brian's site (the
                  > site seems to be down, got the link through Google cache), copied it
                  > over to /share/hdd/conf/bin where I made a folder for it, edited the
                  > conf file to what I thought would work. I run byRequest with the
                  > conf as the only parameter, and it seems to try to run, though if I
                  > view the log file afterwards I get "Unable to bind address to
                  > socket" as an error. I think it quits at this point as I don't see
                  > it in ps and Tivo can't find the share.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions? Aside from the files in the folder for byRequest,
                  > are there any dependencies I need? what about the vsound and splay
                  > tools?
                  >
                  > Any tips you might have on configuring/setting byRequest up on the
                  > NSLU2 would be really helpful. I'd love to be able to share my MP3s
                  > (and my photos eventually) with my Tivo without having my desktop
                  > turned on!
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Jeremy
                  >
                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian A. Lantz" <brian@l...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > > I haven't looked at ptivohmo recently, but I did play with it a
                  > bit
                  > > > before I wrote the original "byRequest".
                  > > >
                  > > > I don't know at what point Brian forked his copy, ...
                  > >
                  > > My patches are to the current version of byRequest. I've been
                  > meaning to
                  > > contribute them to the main fork, but haven't gotten around to it
                  > yet...
                  > >
                  > > Brian
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  ------- End of Original Message -------
                • davidclemans
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jeremyclark_1974"
                    <jeremyclark@h...> wrote:
                    > view the log file afterwards I get "Unable to bind address to
                    > socket" as an error. I think it quits at this point as I don't see
                    > it in ps and Tivo can't find the share.

                    Yes, it'll definitely quit at that point. That error msg usually
                    implies that some other process has that socket open. Do you have
                    another mp3 server process running on that box (mt-daapd maybe?). I
                    haven't looked to see if there already is a netstat command on the
                    nslu2; if you have netstat you could display what ports are open.
                  • suicidechump
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jeremyclark_1974"
                      > <jeremyclark@h...> wrote:
                      > > view the log file afterwards I get "Unable to bind address to
                      > > socket" as an error. I think it quits at this point as I don't
                      see
                      > > it in ps and Tivo can't find the share.
                      >
                      > Yes, it'll definitely quit at that point. That error msg usually
                      > implies that some other process has that socket open. Do you have
                      > another mp3 server process running on that box (mt-daapd maybe?). I
                      > haven't looked to see if there already is a netstat command on the
                      > nslu2; if you have netstat you could display what ports are open.

                      Yup, I get the "Unable to bind address to socket" error, and no, I
                      definitely don't have any other mp3 server processes (that I know of)
                      running on the box. My box is pretty much stock, with a telnet hack
                      installed and some flavor of busybox available, but no other non-
                      stock server processes.
                    • davidclemans
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                        <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:

                        > Yup, I get the "Unable to bind address to socket" error, and no, I
                        > definitely don't have any other mp3 server processes (that I know of)
                        > running on the box. My box is pretty much stock, with a telnet hack
                        > installed and some flavor of busybox available, but no other non-
                        > stock server processes.

                        Did you try before when logged into the nslu2 as someone other than
                        root? If so, as an experiment try starting byRequest as root.
                      • suicidechump
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 3, 2004
                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                          > <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Yup, I get the "Unable to bind address to socket" error, and no,
                          > > definitely don't have any other mp3 server processes (that I know
                          of)
                          > > running on the box. My box is pretty much stock, with a telnet
                          hack
                          > > installed and some flavor of busybox available, but no other non-
                          > > stock server processes.
                          >
                          > Did you try before when logged into the nslu2 as someone other than
                          > root? If so, as an experiment try starting byRequest as root.

                          Nope. Always log in as root when I telnet in. Always get that error
                          when running from root.
                        • davidclemans
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 4, 2004
                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                            <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                            root.

                            > Nope. Always log in as root when I telnet in. Always get that error
                            > when running from root.

                            I suspect I know what it is... Brian's sent me some of his changes to
                            be incorporated into the mainline. His changes hardcode the address
                            of the nlsu2 to be 192.168.1.77.
                          • davidclemans
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 4, 2004
                              I've uploaded a binary copy of my version of byRequest, as running at
                              home on my nslu2 to the url

                              www.easystreet.com/~dgc/byRequest-nslu.tar.gz

                              This represents the current CVS 0.60 sources from
                              www.sf.net/projects/byrequest. To see the actual sources, what
                              documentation exists, go there. This version doesn't have Brian's
                              changes; I'm working on incorporating those.

                              The tar has the binary and a configuration file; edit the
                              configuration file for the location(s) of your mp3 directories, and
                              the location of a logfile. Run it by "byRequest <path to byRequest.conf>"

                              dgc
                            • suicidechump
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 4, 2004
                                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                                > <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                                > root.
                                > >
                                > > Nope. Always log in as root when I telnet in. Always get that
                                error
                                > > when running from root.
                                >
                                > I suspect I know what it is... Brian's sent me some of his changes
                                > be incorporated into the mainline. His changes hardcode the address
                                > of the nlsu2 to be 192.168.1.77.

                                Yeah, that could cause problems.
                              • suicidechump
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 4, 2004
                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                                  > I've uploaded a binary copy of my version of byRequest, as running
                                  at
                                  > home on my nslu2 to the url
                                  >
                                  > www.easystreet.com/~dgc/byRequest-nslu.tar.gz
                                  >
                                  > This represents the current CVS 0.60 sources from
                                  > www.sf.net/projects/byrequest. To see the actual sources, what
                                  > documentation exists, go there. This version doesn't have Brian's
                                  > changes; I'm working on incorporating those.
                                  >
                                  > The tar has the binary and a configuration file; edit the
                                  > configuration file for the location(s) of your mp3 directories, and
                                  > the location of a logfile. Run it by "byRequest <path to
                                  byRequest.conf>"

                                  > dgc

                                  I tried that, but -debug shows the same error binding to the socket.

                                  Does this one also have the ip address hardwired?
                                • jeremyclark_1974
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 6, 2004
                                    Okay, I change the IP on my NSLU2 back to 192.168.1.77, and it now
                                    seems to send out a beacon. My Tivo finds it, and the NSLU2 serves
                                    up any MP3s I request, so it seems to be working great! Speedier
                                    than I thought it might be.

                                    I did have mt-daapd running at the same time as well, so it is
                                    possible to do so without conflicts. Had it streaming iTunes via mt-
                                    daapd to two PCs at once while streaming other music to my Tivo (all
                                    over 802.11g). Nice!!

                                    Now if I could only figure out how to serve up video to my Tivo from
                                    the NSLU2, then I'd be set! Anyone think of a way to full the Tivo
                                    into thinking a PC (or the NSLU2) is another Tivo that it can share
                                    video files with? :}

                                    -Jeremy

                                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "davidclemans" <dgc@e...> wrote:
                                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "suicidechump"
                                    > <dawnyahoogroups@d...> wrote:
                                    > root.
                                    > >
                                    > > Nope. Always log in as root when I telnet in. Always get that
                                    error
                                    > > when running from root.
                                    >
                                    > I suspect I know what it is... Brian's sent me some of his changes
                                    > be incorporated into the mainline. His changes hardcode the
                                    address
                                    > of the nlsu2 to be 192.168.1.77.
                                  • Dan
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 7, 2004
                                      > Now if I could only figure out how to serve up video to my Tivo from
                                      > the NSLU2, then I'd be set! Anyone think of a way to full the Tivo
                                      > into thinking a PC (or the NSLU2) is another Tivo that it can share
                                      > video files with? :}

                                      Within the next couple months TiVo will be releasing a new service
                                      call TiVoToGo that will allow you to transfer video from a TiVo to a
                                      PC. The details have not yet been released, but in one of the surveys
                                      they sent out pertaining to TiVoToGo they devoted an entire section to
                                      the ability to transfer video BACK to the TiVo. Again there is no
                                      guarantee this feature will make the cut, but it is a possibility. And
                                      if that happens then it might be possible to do just what you want.

                                      For now I suggest you do what I did and get yourself an XBox, throw a
                                      mod chip in it, and download XBox Media Center. It has built in Samba
                                      support and can play almost every major audio/video CODEC available.
                                      And if you get yourself an HD adapter it can even play movies in
                                      progressive scan with digital audio. Pretty cool!

                                      Dan
                                    • combatmedic1978
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 9, 2004
                                        I've done some testing with TiVo streams at 1gig per hour. And, I
                                        don't know if it's an issue with my hard-drives, but I'm barely able
                                        to stream a show from my nslu2 to my laptop.

                                        -Mike
                                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dan6992@h...> wrote:
                                        > > Now if I could only figure out how to serve up video to my Tivo
                                        from
                                        > > the NSLU2, then I'd be set! Anyone think of a way to full the
                                        Tivo
                                        > > into thinking a PC (or the NSLU2) is another Tivo that it can
                                        share
                                        > > video files with? :}
                                        >
                                        > Within the next couple months TiVo will be releasing a new service
                                        > call TiVoToGo that will allow you to transfer video from a TiVo to
                                        > PC. The details have not yet been released, but in one of the
                                        surveys
                                        > they sent out pertaining to TiVoToGo they devoted an entire
                                        section to
                                        > the ability to transfer video BACK to the TiVo. Again there is no
                                        > guarantee this feature will make the cut, but it is a possibility.
                                        And
                                        > if that happens then it might be possible to do just what you want.
                                        >
                                        > For now I suggest you do what I did and get yourself an XBox,
                                        throw a
                                        > mod chip in it, and download XBox Media Center. It has built in
                                        Samba
                                        > support and can play almost every major audio/video CODEC
                                        available.
                                        > And if you get yourself an HD adapter it can even play movies in
                                        > progressive scan with digital audio. Pretty cool!
                                        >
                                        > Dan
                                      • jeremyclark_1974
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 9, 2004
                                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dan6992@h...> wrote:
                                          > Within the next couple months TiVo will be releasing a new service
                                          > call TiVoToGo that will allow you to transfer video from a TiVo to
                                          > a PC. The details have not yet been released, but in one of the
                                          > surveys they sent out pertaining to TiVoToGo they devoted an
                                          > entire section to the ability to transfer video BACK to the TiVo.
                                          > Again there is no guarantee this feature will make the cut, but
                                          > It is a possibility. And if that happens then it might be possible
                                          > to do just what you want.

                                          I currently have my DirecTivo hacked with the 4.0 OS so that it
                                          supports HMO (normally only supported on standalone units), which is
                                          how I'm listening to my audio hosted on the NSLU2. I do archive
                                          shows from it via TyTools or MFS_FTP, but I'd love to essentially do
                                          what I already do with my hacked XBox, as you mentioned. :) XBMC is
                                          really cool, indeed. I have it in my livingroom along with my
                                          UltimateTV, and then I have the Tivo in my bedroom and at some point
                                          would love to use the NSLU2 as my central, always-on media storage
                                          center from which I can access everything.

                                          It'll be interesting to see how the TiVoToGo works out and also the
                                          new Netflix partnership; I'd suspect they'll have to finally try to
                                          tighten up their security even moreso now, in the past they've
                                          essentially turned a blind eye to the Tivo Hacking community.

                                          -Jeremy
                                        • Dan
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 12, 2004
                                            I have all my DVD rips stored on a Maxtor 160GB drive connected to the
                                            NSLU2. I've only done minor testing (watched 5-10 minutes clips), but
                                            it streams fine to my XBox running XBMC and to my 2.2GHz PC. However
                                            both are connected via 10/100 Ethernet. A wireless connection, even an
                                            802.11g, might be too slow for streaming video.

                                            Dan