Re: De-Bricking help (Almost there)...

  • paulbart1234
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, NSLU2 Linux <unslung@g...> wrote:
      > > I believe the 'fis' command set in Redboot has been disabled (not
      > > configured) in this version of Redboot. I could be wrong,
      though.

      > fis write and fis erase are there. The rest are disabled.

      Oh, I didn't realize they were there. Has anyone tried using them
      to upgrade the flash?

      - Paulb
    • NSLU2 Linux
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30, 2004
        On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:34:04 -0000, paulbart1234
        <paulbart@...> wrote:
        > Oh, I didn't realize they were there. Has anyone tried using them
        > to upgrade the flash?

        Not that I know of. When I had to rewrite my /dev/mtd3, I found that
        if you can get into redboot, then it's easier to tftp a good vmlinuz
        and ramdisk, and use mtd_debug to write the flash in Linux.

        -- Rod
      • Mark Rakes
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30, 2004
          On Aug 30, 2004, at 10:55 PM, NSLU2 Linux wrote:
          > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:34:04 -0000, paulbart1234
          > <paulbart@...> wrote:
          >> Oh, I didn't realize they were there. Has anyone tried using them
          >> to upgrade the flash?
          >
          > Not that I know of. When I had to rewrite my /dev/mtd3, I found that
          > if you can get into redboot, then it's easier to tftp a good vmlinuz
          > and ramdisk, and use mtd_debug to write the flash in Linux.

          I've always preferred "fcp" to mtd_debug to write the flash, as it
          does the erase before the write, and after, verifies that the image
          programmed is the same on flash as in memory. so, you know if you've
          made a brick before it's too late.

          my $.02

          -mark

          p.s. I now have a working (and recent) buildroot/uclibc setup, but since
          I still don't have a serial port on my NSLU2, I've only verified it on
          my ixp422-based access point. Should have a serial port in a couple of
          days, and may be able to report more.
        • irfan29200
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30, 2004
            I have been looking for some help on the mtd_debug utilily without
            much success. I want to read the command details before trying to
            program the flash using this command.

            Can anyone give some links

            -irfan

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, NSLU2 Linux <unslung@g...> wrote:
            > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:34:04 -0000, paulbart1234
            > <paulbart@b...> wrote:
            > > Oh, I didn't realize they were there. Has anyone tried using them
            > > to upgrade the flash?
            >
            > Not that I know of. When I had to rewrite my /dev/mtd3, I found
            that
            > if you can get into redboot, then it's easier to tftp a good vmlinuz
            > and ramdisk, and use mtd_debug to write the flash in Linux.
            >
            > -- Rod
          • NSLU2 Linux
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31, 2004
              On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:11:59 -0000, irfan29200 <irfan@...> wrote:
              > I have been looking for some help on the mtd_debug utilily without
              > much success. I want to read the command details before trying to
              > program the flash using this command.
              >
              > Can anyone give some links

              Search for "mtd_debug" on this list.

              -- Rod
            • NSLU2 Linux
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 31, 2004
                On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:04:34 -0700, Mark Rakes <mrakes@...> wrote:
                > I've always preferred "fcp" to mtd_debug to write the flash, as it
                > does the erase before the write, and after, verifies that the image
                > programmed is the same on flash as in memory. so, you know if you've
                > made a brick before it's too late.

                Can you upload an fcp binary for the NSLU2?

                When your slug is bricked, you work with the tools at hand ...

                -- Rod
              • Mark Rakes
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 31, 2004
                  On Aug 31, 2004, at 12:06 AM, NSLU2 Linux wrote:
                  > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:04:34 -0700, Mark Rakes <...> wrote:
                  >> I've always preferred "fcp" to mtd_debug to write the flash, as it
                  >> does the erase before the write, and after, verifies that the image
                  >> programmed is the same on flash as in memory. so, you know if you've
                  >> made a brick before it's too late.
                  >
                  > Can you upload an fcp binary for the NSLU2?
                  >
                  > When your slug is bricked, you work with the tools at hand ...

                  I can make a static fcp binary, but I currently have no way to test it.
                  (no serial port for a couple more days, no USB HDD to change the passwd
                  file yet either :)

                  Perhaps flobro30101, who posted the mtd_debug binary, could post one?

                  -mark