Catchy names

  • rwhitby
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
      Whilst "NSLU" is a great name for the SourceForge project area, I
      still think we need a catchy name for the custom firmware
      distribution itself :-)

      Here's some of my more corny ideas (along the line of "GNU's Not
      Unix" style recursive acronyms):

      [ACRONYM: EXPANSION
      "Marketing sound-bite"]

      SWALLO: SWALLO - Wonderful Applications Linksys Left Out
      "Your NSLU2 will just SWALLO our new features."

      NSLURP: NSLURP Storage Link User R????? Project
      "NSLURP gives your NSLU2 a belly-full of features."

      NSLUICE: NSLUICE Storage Link U???? Individual Configuration Engine
      "<couldn't think of a catch phrase for this one>"

      NSTORE - NSTORE Serves Terrabytes Over Routed Ethernet
      "Safegaurd your NSLU2 data with NSTORE."

      NSTONE - NSTONE Serves Terrabytes Over NSLU2's Ethernet
      "As if your data was chiselled NSTONE."

      SLUE - Storage Link Unix Engineering
      "Slue away from the standard firmware."

      and my personal favourite:

      NSLUT - NSLUT Storage Link User Tinkering - "NSLUT makes your NSLU2
      do what *you* want it to do" :-)

      [hope I didn't offend anyone with that last one]

      Can anyone else do better ... ?

      -- Rod
    • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
        > Here's some of my more corny ideas (along the line of "GNU's Not
        > Unix" style recursive acronyms):

        <snip>

        Lol, I love all those! ;P Too bad we can't use them all!

        Might be an idea to wait till there is something closer to
        publicly-releasable, and then the user group can have a poll on the
        candidates. By that time we will have matured a little more as a group, and
        have a better idea what will be part of the user groups firmware release
        features will be. Already, two of the leaders of this development are
        thinking about several different functionality implementations, that will
        probably change the firmware's useage greatly. Load linux off the usb drive,
        or add mini-linux features to the available free memory.

        I'll be happy to create the poll when we're ready for that.

        My $.02

        David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
        Using Outlook Express and want some color? http://tinyurl.com/39goy
        Funstuff: Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
      • David Mitchell
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
          I did a search on the scrabble server and found only
          two words that contain those letters in order!

          translucent (+other endings)
          unslung

          I kind of like unslung, but im not even sure what it
          means!

          -dave

          --- rwhitby <list.yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Whilst "NSLU" is a great name for the SourceForge
          > project area, I
          > still think we need a catchy name for the custom
          > firmware
          > distribution itself :-)

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Aristotle Allen
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
            I think the name should be based on the targeted functionality. Is
            it going to be a real SAN device? Then it should support ftp, pam,
            nfs, and the print q functionality would be nice too...

            Why not call it, the NSLU-Cubed (thats one better tha NSLU-Squared)

            Do I get the corny prize?

            -

            Ari

            --
            -
            Aristotle B. Allen
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, David Mitchell <gossiphog@y...>
              wrote:
              > unslung

              UNSLUNG: Uber-NSLU Next Generation
              "May your NSLU2 be UNSLUNG!"

              -- Rod
            • m. allan noah
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
                i like unslung but if you look in /usr/dict/words on your linux box, you
                will find these others:

                insoluble
                manslaughter
                onslaught