RE: [nslu2-linux] NTFS?

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2005
      Dear Martin,

      > To me this seems like I could install this package and it
      > should work.

      Yes - that's the idea.

      > Or why is it on the cross-compiles area?

      It is created on an Intel machine to run on an NSLU2 under Unslung.

      > So Anyone got this file "ufsd_2.3R63-5_armeb.ipk" ?

      Yes - it is in the feed. Once Unslung is installed with working network
      access and you have unslinged to a disk, just write "ipkg update; ipkg
      install ufsd" and it should install from the Internet.

      best,

      -- Inge
    • pvusa2001
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2005
        Thanx for the fast reply but I get the following error.

        ERROR: The download from www.linksys.com has failed.
        Please download the NSLU2_V23R63.zip firmware manually into /tmp and
        try again.
        postinst script returned status 1
        ERROR: ufsd.postinst returned 1

        If I try to put a downloaded NSLU2_V23R63.zip file in the /tmp I get
        this:

        # ipkg install ufsd
        Package ufsd (2.3R63-5) installed in root is up to date.
        Configuring ufsd
        Downloading the NSLU2_V23R63.zip firmware ....
        ERROR: The download from www.linksys.com has failed.
        Please download the NSLU2_V23R63.zip firmware manually into /tmp and
        try again.
        postinst script returned status 1
        ERROR: ufsd.postinst returned 1
        Nothing to be done

        What Can I do??

        Best regards
        Martin

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 4, 2005
          On 10/5/05, pvusa2001 <pvusa@...> wrote:
          Downloading the NSLU2_V23R63.zip firmware ....
          ERROR: The download from www.linksys.com has failed.
          Please download the NSLU2_V23R63.zip firmware manually into /tmp and
          try again.
          postinst script returned status 1
          ERROR: ufsd.postinst returned 1

          Compare the md5sum of the downloaded zip file with the value that is in the ufsd.postinst script.  Also double check that the file you downloaded is a big zip file, and not a small HTML error page.

          -- Rod

        • pvusa2001
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 4, 2005
            .zip firmware manually into /tmp and
            > > try again.
            > > postinst script returned status 1
            > > ERROR: ufsd.postinst returned 1
            >
            > Compare the md5sum of the downloaded zip file with the value that
            is in the
            > ufsd.postinst script. Also double check that the file you
            downloaded is a
            > big zip file, and not a small HTML error page.
            > -- Rod

            The downloaded file is ~6,5Mb so its not the webpage. but when I run
            ipkg install ufsd I can see how a temprary directory is created but
            then deleted when the scripts ends, what parameter can I use to
            either extract the ufsd.postinst file OR make the script to DONT
            delete the directory it creating?

            /Martin
          • jhaveri
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 5, 2005
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pvusa2001" <pvusa@x> wrote:
              > .zip firmware manually into /tmp and
              > > > try again.
              > > > postinst script returned status 1
              > > > ERROR: ufsd.postinst returned 1
              > >
              > > Compare the md5sum of the downloaded zip file with the value
              that
              > is in the
              > > ufsd.postinst script. Also double check that the file you
              > downloaded is a
              > > big zip file, and not a small HTML error page.
              > > -- Rod
              >
              > The downloaded file is ~6,5Mb so its not the webpage. but when I
              run
              > ipkg install ufsd I can see how a temprary directory is created
              but
              > then deleted when the scripts ends, what parameter can I use to
              > either extract the ufsd.postinst file OR make the script to DONT
              > delete the directory it creating?
              >
              > /Martin

              I am having the same problem installing ufsd on unslung-5.5-beta.
              ipkg install ufsd was not able to make connection to the linksys
              website to download the above mentioned zip file for ver63. So, I
              downloaded it after google search. Turns out my file is 167 mb. It
              came as a GPL source file from linsys support site. Now the ipkg is
              not connecting to linksys web site since it finds the zip file
              in /tmp. But after a long time it quits giving the same error, i.e.
              postinst script returned status 1.

              Will sombody please help us with ufsd install on unslung-2.5-beta
              binary. Reading all the notes from IRC channel, I am sure it works
              if installed.

              Thanks,

              Bharat
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 6, 2005
                Fixed in ufsd_2.3R63-6_armeb.ipk

                -- Rod
              • pvusa2001
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 8, 2005
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@r...>
                  wrote:

                  > Fixed in ufsd_2.3R63-6_armeb.ipk
                  >
                  > -- Rod

                  Still got the problem but I read the ufsd.postinst and did all the
                  commands in there, so nw I have ufsd.o in '/lib/modules/'
                  and /initrd/lib/modules/' What to do next?? I rebootet the NSLU2
                  but it can't read my disk. Does this module just work on one USB port?
                  I tested the NTFS drive in port 1 (my unslug is on the disk 2?

                  Anuone?
                  /Martin
                • jhaveri
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 14, 2005
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pvusa2001" <martin@m...> wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-
                    linux@r...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Fixed in ufsd_2.3R63-6_armeb.ipk
                    > >
                    > > -- Rod
                    > >

                    > Still got the problem but I read the ufsd.postinst and did all the
                    > commands in there, so nw I have ufsd.o in '/lib/modules/'
                    > and /initrd/lib/modules/' What to do next?? I rebootet the NSLU2
                    > but it can't read my disk. Does this module just work on one USB
                    port?
                    > I tested the NTFS drive in port 1 (my unslug is on the disk 2?
                    >
                    > Anuone?
                    > /Martin

                    Well, I ahve also installed ufsd. After install, I gave the command,

                    insmod ufsd.o.

                    lsmod does show kernel module ufsd.o installed.

                    However, I can not mount my ntfs partition on USB DISK1.

                    Can someone please help, how to use NTFS in unslung firmware.

                    Thanks,

                    Bharat
                  • Attila Csipa
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 14, 2005
                      I had a HW failure on one of my servers, so I had to do quick step-in
                      with a slug to act as a DNS/PROXY until the server gets repaired (this
                      was really easy since the original server was debian, I just copied
                      theconfig files from /etc and voila !).

                      The problem was that I had no disk to put in so I resorted to (deboranas) root
                      on an USB flash drive. I originally wanted to do this with jffs2, but could
                      not find the blkmtd module which would emulate a MTD from a block
                      device (and thus allow jffs2 mounting). Did I miss something or is this
                      not the way to do it (if there is a way for such a layout at all) ? Just
                      to clarify, this is for _debian_ and _not_ openslug (should not matter
                      since this is a kernel issue, but stil...)

                      Another curious thing happened to me while I tried to minimize flash wear/tear
                      (the fs is ext2 since I wanted to make it readonly at the end of init, no need for the
                      journal in that case, it just eats mem/cpu), so I'm back to defaults, but this is
                      bad for the flash.

                      slug:~# mount
                      /dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
                      proc on /proc type proc (rw)
                      sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
                      tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
                      usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
                      none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

                      slug:~# cat /etc/fstab
                      /dev/sda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
                      none /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
                      none /proc proc defaults 0 0
                      none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
                      none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
                      /dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

                      slug:~# mount / -o remount,noatime

                      slug:~# mount
                      /dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw,noatime)
                      proc on /proc type proc (rw)
                      sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
                      tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
                      usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
                      none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

                      slug:~# cd /etc/
                      -bash: cd: /etc/: Input/output error

                      slug:~# ls -l
                      -bash: ls: command not found

                      As always in times of need, all suggestions and tips are welcome.
                    • Isthar
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 24, 2005
                        Bharat,

                        The problem is unzip, as currently available via ipkg. Try running
                        unzip -l /tmp/NSLU2_V23R63.zip and you'll see it say "Invlaide zip
                        file" (nevermind the typo!). I'm going to see if zip'ing the files
                        with a unix zip may make a difference... I tried using a new zip file
                        created from windows using winzip, no luck.

                        - Eddie

                        > I am having the same problem installing ufsd on unslung-5.5-beta.
                        > ipkg install ufsd was not able to make connection to the linksys
                        > website to download the above mentioned zip file for ver63. So, I
                        > downloaded it after google search. Turns out my file is 167 mb. It
                        > came as a GPL source file from linsys support site. Now the ipkg is
                        > not connecting to linksys web site since it finds the zip file
                        > in /tmp. But after a long time it quits giving the same error, i.e.
                        > postinst script returned status 1.
                        >
                        > Will sombody please help us with ufsd install on unslung-2.5-beta
                        > binary. Reading all the notes from IRC channel, I am sure it works
                        > if installed.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Bharat

                      • Isthar
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 24, 2005
                          Ok, something must be seriously wrong with the unzip package, because
                          it couldnt even unzip/list the contents of one created using unix zip,
                          which file shows to be...

                          [eddie@trinity nl]$ file NSLU2_V23R63.zip
                          NSLU2_V23R63.zip: Zip archive data, at least v1.0 to extract

                          I'm not an expert enough yet to know how to replace unzip with some
                          other one that "works", so for now I'm stuck as well.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 24, 2005
                            > The problem is unzip, as currently available via ipkg. Try running
                            > unzip -l /tmp/NSLU2_V23R63.zip and you'll see it say "Invlaide zip
                            > file" (nevermind the typo!). I'm going to see if zip'ing the files
                            > with a unix zip may make a difference... I tried using a new zip file
                            > created from windows using winzip, no luck.

                            You will need to work out how to unzip the file that Linksys provides.
                            To host that file anywhere else would certainly put you at risk of
                            the Paragon Software legal folks coming your way as the NTFS driver is
                            a commercial licensed product.

                            -- Rod
                          • Isthar
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 25, 2005
                              Ok, understood but still, isn't unzip as available by ipkg bad or
                              corrupt? For now I'm going to workaround it by unzipping it on another
                              machine, copying the extracted files, and changing what "unzip" ends
                              up doing (perhaps a return 0 script).

                              I mean, we are in agreement something's wrong with unzip right?

                              - Eddie

                              wrote:

                              > > The problem is unzip, as currently available via ipkg. Try running
                              > > unzip -l /tmp/NSLU2_V23R63.zip and you'll see it say "Invlaide zip
                              > > file" (nevermind the typo!). I'm going to see if zip'ing the files
                              > > with a unix zip may make a difference... I tried using a new zip file
                              > > created from windows using winzip, no luck.
                              >
                              > You will need to work out how to unzip the file that Linksys provides.
                              > To host that file anywhere else would certainly put you at risk of
                              > the Paragon Software legal folks coming your way as the NTFS driver is
                              > a commercial licensed product.
                              >
                              > -- Rod

                            • Isthar
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 25, 2005
                                Scratch everything! I get it now!! (I am still learning here, and even
                                with all my linux experience, one can overlook simple things).

                                I had installed the unzip package, but "unzip" was not going to the
                                /opt/bin/unzip binary, but rather /usr/bin/unzip which is a much more
                                limited unzip binary.

                                So to Bharat: I would simply make sure /usr/bin/unzip is out of the
                                way for /opt/bin/unzip (install that package!) and it'll all work just
                                fine.
                                (or at least, ufsd will install properly)

                                - Eddie
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 25, 2005
                                  On 10/25/05, Isthar <isthar@...> wrote:
                                  > I had installed the unzip package, but "unzip" was not going to the
                                  > /opt/bin/unzip binary, but rather /usr/bin/unzip which is a much more
                                  > limited unzip binary.
                                  >
                                  > So to Bharat: I would simply make sure /usr/bin/unzip is out of the
                                  > way for /opt/bin/unzip (install that package!) and it'll all work just
                                  > fine.
                                  > (or at least, ufsd will install properly)

                                  The ufsd ipkg automatically installs the unzip ipkg, and also calls
                                  /opt/bin/unzip explicitly in the postinst script.

                                  -- Rod
                                • Inge B. Arnesen
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 25, 2005
                                    This is the deal as I see it:

                                    - There is a BusyBox unzip. I'm not really sure what it is good for, but
                                    it cannot list or unpack normal ZIP files.
                                    - There is a UNZIP ipk. This seems quite ok to me.

                                    # ipkg install which
                                    [snip]
                                    # which -a unzip
                                    [will list all unzips you have]
                                    # ipkg install unzip
                                    [will install unzip]
                                    # which -a unzip
                                    [should reveil the new one - if not, check the path]

                                    If you have installed BusyBox 1.0 you may be at risk from conflicts (if
                                    the unzip applet is enabled). This should either be resolvable through
                                    update-alternatives or by just deleting the BB 1.0 unzip link in /opt/bin.

                                    best,

                                    -- Inge

                                    > Ok, understood but still, isn't unzip as available by ipkg bad or
                                    > corrupt? For now I'm going to workaround it by unzipping it on another
                                    > machine, copying the extracted files, and changing what "unzip" ends
                                    > up doing (perhaps a return 0 script).
                                    >
                                    > I mean, we are in agreement something's wrong with unzip right?
                                    >
                                    > - Eddie
                                    >
                                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@r...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> > The problem is unzip, as currently available via ipkg. Try running
                                    >> > unzip -l /tmp/NSLU2_V23R63.zip and you'll see it say "Invlaide zip
                                    >> > file" (nevermind the typo!). I'm going to see if zip'ing the files
                                    >> > with a unix zip may make a difference... I tried using a new zip file
                                    >> > created from windows using winzip, no luck.
                                    >>
                                    >> You will need to work out how to unzip the file that Linksys provides.
                                    >> To host that file anywhere else would certainly put you at risk of
                                    >> the Paragon Software legal folks coming your way as the NTFS driver is
                                    >> a commercial licensed product.
                                    >>
                                    >> -- Rod
                                    >>

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • jhaveri
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 25, 2005
                                      linux@r...> wrote:

                                      > On 10/25/05, Isthar <isthar@y...> wrote:
                                      > > I had installed the unzip package, but "unzip" was not going to
                                      the
                                      > > /opt/bin/unzip binary, but rather /usr/bin/unzip which is a much
                                      more
                                      > > limited unzip binary.
                                      > >
                                      > > So to Bharat: I would simply make sure /usr/bin/unzip is out of
                                      the
                                      > > way for /opt/bin/unzip (install that package!) and it'll all
                                      work just
                                      > > fine.
                                      > > (or at least, ufsd will install properly)
                                      >
                                      > The ufsd ipkg automatically installs the unzip ipkg, and also calls
                                      > /opt/bin/unzip explicitly in the postinst script.
                                      >
                                      > -- Rod

                                      Actually, I was finally able to install ufsd.o. Unzip was not my
                                      problem as Rod says here. I had a checksum error. Turnsed out my zip
                                      file was giving me a different checksum than in the postinst script.
                                      I ignored that by commenting out the check in the postinst script.
                                      Then the ufsd.o installed fine.

                                      My next step was a trial and error. Unslung did not automatically
                                      recognize NTFS formatted disks. So I added ufsd.o
                                      in /unslung/rc.modules, so it is loaded in the kernel at boot time.
                                      I than
                                      created /opt/etc/init.d/S06ufsd script to mount "mount -t ufsd.o -o
                                      rw,uid=501,gid=501, /dev/sdb1 /hdd/flash/data/public".

                                      Now my NTFS drive works just fine. I had other problem though, with
                                      samba 3.0.14a-1 being unstable. So I removed that, installed vsftpd
                                      for file transfer.

                                      Now my NTFS drive has been working like a charm.

                                      Thanks for very valuable help I have gotten here.

                                      Best Regards,

                                      Bharat

                                      PS: I did at one time went back to Linksys version .63 firmware,
                                      just for NTFS (I had to give up Tonkeyvision on NSLU2).
                                      Turned out even that was unstable. unslung with ufsd.o and vsftpd is
                                      really stable. I have been backing up very many small files, such as
                                      XP setup CD, without any drop in network.