Anyterm cross-compiled

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      Dear All,

      I have managed to cross-compile Anyterm to run on my OpenDebianSlug.

      Anyterm (http://anyterm.org/) is a JavaScript terminal emulator; a box
      on a web page acts like a terminal on your server. The Anyterm web page
      has a couple of demos. It needs support from the server and there are
      two options: you can install an Apache module, which is untested but
      should work on Slugs that already have Apache, or you can run a
      standalone Anyterm daemon. It's the standalone daemon that I've
      cross-compiled. Although the cross-compilation works OK this standalone
      code is itself still experimental, so it's not really suitable for
      mission-critical deployment yet. It's also slower than the Apache module.

      If you want to try it there are some basic instructions on the Anyterm
      web page, under "standalone daemon". slugmake.sh scripts do the right
      thing for armeb-linux-g++ cross-compiling. Let me know how you get on
      (or visit the Anyterm forum at http://anyterm.org/forums/).

      Anyterm's main application is firewall evasion, i.e. so that you can
      access your home or hosted server from your workplace or internet cafe.
      It can also be a quick way to add a web interface to a "legacy"
      command-line application and I can imagine it being used with things
      like webmin.

      Cheers,

      --Phil.

      p.s. SlugTerm now has a box! http://chezphil.org/slugterm/boxed.jpeg