Re: Turboslug - experiences

  • mbanditt
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 3, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Tommy B <gentoo@n...> wrote:

      > The Loft is an upscale version of the NSLU2 with more memory, serial,
      > JTAG, an extra ethernet, POE, "always-on", and lots more. It is from the
      > same SOC family.

      > I've been planning on writing up all this stuff and posting it on the
      > Giant Shoulder Inc. web site but it's a week or two away as I'm readying
      > the kickoff of the first Loft production build.
      >
      > So at $249 US, for the board, case, PS, compliance (FCC/CE/etc..), and
      > all the extra features it is a "small" price.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      >
      > Tom

      What's the status of the loft? The website hasn't been updated for
      quite a while now and it would be nice to see what has happened to
      your prototypes.

      There has been some discussion about the market for such a product.
      I'm not very sure about the 266MHz, 64MB version. But I really think,
      if you could sell a 533 MHZ, 128 MB version for a price of 249 US$,
      that could really be a successful product. (I, at least, would be
      interested.)

      Cheers,

      Michael
    • Tommy B
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 3, 2005
        mbanditt wrote:

        >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Tommy B <gentoo@n...> wrote:
        >

        >>The Loft is an upscale version of the NSLU2 with more memory, serial,
        >>JTAG, an extra ethernet, POE, "always-on", and lots more. It is from the
        >>same SOC family.

        >>I've been planning on writing up all this stuff and posting it on the
        >>Giant Shoulder Inc. web site but it's a week or two away as I'm readying
        >>the kickoff of the first Loft production build.
        >>
        >>So at $249 US, for the board, case, PS, compliance (FCC/CE/etc..), and
        >>all the extra features it is a "small" price.
        >>
        >>Best Regards,
        >>
        >>Tom
        >>

        >What's the status of the loft? The website hasn't been updated for
        >quite a while now and it would be nice to see what has happened to
        >your prototypes.

        The Loft is preparing for lift-off :)

        The prototypes are working very well. I'm very pleased with the boards
        and progress. The unofficial Debian BE was running on the prototypes
        within 24 hours of arrival. A modified openslug jffs2 rootfs is also
        running. There are only a couple items on the punch list for turning on
        the production build and these should be resolved shortly.

        >There has been some discussion about the market for such a product.
        >I'm not very sure about the 266MHz, 64MB version. But I really think,
        >if you could sell a 533 MHZ, 128 MB version for a price of 249 US$,
        >that could really be a successful product. (I, at least, would be
        >interested.)

        533 is a $20 price increase. I'm still waiting on the memory cost for
        128MB. I'd guess that be near an additional $30.

        Thanks for the interest.

        Much larger pictures of the hardware will be available soon.

        [g2]