Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [nslu2-linux] mplayer

Expand Messages
  • Tommy B
    ... Thanks so much for these tips! I ll definetly have to try this stuff out. I d really like to try the time-lapse stuff. Either with a Camera or Web cam. I
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Attila Csipa wrote:

      >On Saturday 01 October 2005 02:56, Tommy B wrote:
      >
      >
      >>Attila THX. This is actually interesting. Can you describe how to run
      >>the tests ? I'd be interested what the Loft running @ 533 Mhz with 64MB
      >>ram can do.
      >>
      >>
      >
      >And if you would like to recompress a series of static images (time-lapse,
      >webcam, security cam, whatever) it would be something like
      >
      >mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf type=jpg:fps=25 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=300
      >
      >The turboslug is capable of (re)encoding 352x288 divx video at around 4-6 fps
      >depending on content, perhaps more if some float-intensive lavc options can
      >be changed/disabled...
      >
      >
      >
      Thanks so much for these tips! I'll definetly have to try this stuff
      out. I'd really like to try the time-lapse stuff. Either with a Camera
      or Web cam. I think the kids would really get a kick out of this.

      >
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
    • nexstar_josh
      Hi, Sorry to barge in, but this looks like an interesting thread! I m very interested in getting mplayer running on my slug. Do you think it needs to be a
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi,

        Sorry to barge in, but this looks like an interesting thread!
        I'm very interested in getting mplayer running on my slug. Do you
        think it needs to be a turbo-slug for half-decent results? I note that
        you have given a few compilation tips - is there any chance that a
        precompiled package couldbe made available?

        The main reason for my interest is so that I can run AlienBBC on the
        Slug alongside my Slim Devices Squeexebox...

        JoshM

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Attila Csipa <plists@p...> wrote:
        > On Saturday 01 October 2005 02:56, Tommy B wrote:
        > > Attila THX. This is actually interesting. Can you describe how to run
        > > the tests ? I'd be interested what the Loft running @ 533 Mhz
        with 64MB
        > > ram can do.
        >
        > And if you would like to recompress a series of static images
        (time-lapse,
        > webcam, security cam, whatever) it would be something like
        >
        > mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf type=jpg:fps=25 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
        vbitrate=300
        >
        > The turboslug is capable of (re)encoding 352x288 divx video at
        around 4-6 fps
        > depending on content, perhaps more if some float-intensive lavc
        options can
        > be changed/disabled...
      • Attila Csipa
        ... Depends on what you want to do with it, but if you want to to anything with the video material that involves encoding on the slug, you will want every MHz
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          On Monday 03 October 2005 15:49, nexstar_josh wrote:
          > I'm very interested in getting mplayer running on my slug. Do you
          > think it needs to be a turbo-slug for half-decent results? I note that

          Depends on what you want to do with it, but if you want to to anything with
          the video material that involves encoding on the slug, you will want every
          MHz you can get. The only exception would be time-lapse images, where one-two
          frames per second is acceptable speed.

          > you have given a few compilation tips - is there any chance that a

          Actually as it turns out this is a memory constraint - with O3 and O4 it runs
          out of memory.

          > precompiled package couldbe made available?

          This is a bit tricky because of copyright issues. You will most definitely not
          see mplayer in a Debian feed, but of course someone can always make a private
          package (like the marillat packages). The tricky part is that mplayer can
          take in a million libraries in dependencies, some of which you might want,
          some which you might not - and even more importantly than the download time
          is the fact that mplayer does eat a lot of memory - so you really don't wan't
          any unnecessary libraries pulled in, which kind of makes it necessary to
          customize.
        • fatbobus
          Hello chaps, Also interested in this thread. I have the same goal in mind, I want to get AlienBCC running on my Slug Slimserver Squeezebox setup. (Live in
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 25, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Hello chaps,

            Also interested in this thread. I have the same goal in mind, I want
            to get AlienBCC running on my Slug\Slimserver\Squeezebox setup. (Live
            in foreign parts and miss the news.)

            I'm a complete newbie to Linux, so I'm doing lots of reading and
            scratching of head. Alll good stuff though.

            When I tried to complile the Mplayer package it insisted that I use

            "GCC 2.95.3 (maybe 2.95.4) and 3.2+. Never use 2.96 or 3.0.x! "

            The package on my unslung slug is 3.4.4, so I'm a bit stumped now, and
            I'm not sure how to progress, done lots of searching but not really
            getting anywhere. It's probably out there and I'm a bit dim.

            How do I regrade my gcc lib to 2.95.3 using ipkg ?
            What is the consequence of retrograding for the rest of my slug ?

            Other option is use my current 3.4.4 lib, I know there is a
            "IGNORE_COMPLIER_VERSION_CHECKING" option thing, I looked at that and
            it frightned me a bit? What is the consequence of compiling against
            the newer compilier ?
            If I do complie against 3.4.4 how do I go backwards.

            If I can get this up and runnning I'll do a readme as I feel I should
            contrbiute something.

            Any help will be appreciated,

            regards

            Rob



            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Attila Csipa <plists@p...> wrote:
            >
            > On Monday 03 October 2005 15:49, nexstar_josh wrote:
            > > I'm very interested in getting mplayer running on my slug. Do you
            > > think it needs to be a turbo-slug for half-decent results? I note that
            >
            > Depends on what you want to do with it, but if you want to to
            anything with
            > the video material that involves encoding on the slug, you will want
            every
            > MHz you can get. The only exception would be time-lapse images,
            where one-two
            > frames per second is acceptable speed.
            >
            > > you have given a few compilation tips - is there any chance that a
            >
            > Actually as it turns out this is a memory constraint - with O3 and
            O4 it runs
            > out of memory.
            >
            > > precompiled package couldbe made available?
            >
            > This is a bit tricky because of copyright issues. You will most
            definitely not
            > see mplayer in a Debian feed, but of course someone can always make
            a private
            > package (like the marillat packages). The tricky part is that
            mplayer can
            > take in a million libraries in dependencies, some of which you might
            want,
            > some which you might not - and even more importantly than the
            download time
            > is the fact that mplayer does eat a lot of memory - so you really
            don't wan't
            > any unnecessary libraries pulled in, which kind of makes it
            necessary to
            > customize.
            >
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.