Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Really slow writing files over network via samba and scp?

  • Attila Csipa
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 1, 2005
      On Saturday 01 October 2005 19:45, √ėyvind Repvik wrote:
      > The latest OpenSlug HEAD has a new eth driver. Might be worth checking
      > this out when it stabilizes a bit.

      BTW a bit more info on ethernet level... What I find interesting here apart
      from the fact that eth1 hasn't been really turned off (in fact, its MAC still
      claims he's Intel inside ;) is that somehow the nonexistant eth1 managed to
      negotiate a link speed (?) and the actual eth0 did not ?! Openslug 2.6 here.
      Any ideas from the network gurus ? From the mii output:

      eth0: negotiated 100baseT4 flow-control, link ok
      product info: vendor ffffffff:ff:ff, model 63 rev 15
      basic mode: software reset, loopback, isolate, collision test,
      autonegotiation enabled
      basic status: autonegotiation complete, remote fault, link ok
      capabilities: 100baseT4 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
      flow-control
      advertising: 100baseT4 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
      flow-control
      link partner: 100baseT4 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
      flow-control
      eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
      product info: vendor 00:00:20, model 32 rev 1
      basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
      basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
      capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
      advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
      link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
    • Attila Csipa
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 4, 2005
        On Tuesday 04 October 2005 15:02, George Styles wrote:
        > eth0: negotiated 100baseT4 flow-control, link ok
        > eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-HD, link ok

        try miitool -v for verbose output. I'm under the impression that there is a
        confusion somewhere in the driver-kernel-miitool chain so the status of eth1
        is the status our eth0, the autonegotiating, the Tx, all say that those are
        the actual parameters of the 'real' eth0. One note, IIRC the HD means
        HALF-duplex operation ? That's most certainly not fun on network intensive
        connections.

        > interface, the LED indicates that it has switched to 10... Doing it
        > on eth1 makes the slug hang (or at least fall off the network).

        If you are doing this sort of thing try disconnecting/reconnecting the cable
        after the command (and wait a few seconds), especially if you are going
        through a switch/router, I've seen too much broken autosensing equipment to
        trust it will work just right...

        > Should it see 2 ethernet devices? maybe thats what my problem is?

        The Intel chip in the slug has two ethernet ports, it's just that only one is
        implemented on the NSLU2 board, so that should be okay.