Re: [nslu2-linux] mplayer

  • Attila Csipa
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
      On Saturday 01 October 2005 02:56, Tommy B wrote:
      > Attila THX. This is actually interesting. Can you describe how to run
      > the tests ? I'd be interested what the Loft running @ 533 Mhz with 64MB
      > ram can do.

      Get Mplayer sources (www.mplayerhq.hu), compile (I had to use -O2 for the
      libavcodec dir, the rest was fine with default parameters, but then again,
      maybe I just got an unlucky cvs update). You'll get the mplayer executables
      mplayer ad mencoder and then do

      mplayer -vo null -benchmark -nosound somefile.avi

      This will just run the video through the codec and you can compare that time
      (returned by the benchmark) and the runtime of the video to see how it does.
      Note that data rate often changes during playback, so even thought you can do
      realtime playback on average (i.e. decoded 100s of material in 100s), that
      might include parts where frames were dropped (so you need actually 20-30%
      more CPU power reserve) . This is relevant only for realtime
      playback/recompression though (like streaming).

      PS. I tried thing with libmad and this made a real difference (MPEG1 at
      800kbps with 96kbps stereo MP3 sound), around realtime playback. It's always
      funny to see that the audio eats more CPU than the video, and even with
      libmad this is the case.
    • Attila Csipa
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
        On Saturday 01 October 2005 02:56, Tommy B wrote:
        > Attila THX. This is actually interesting. Can you describe how to run
        > the tests ? I'd be interested what the Loft running @ 533 Mhz with 64MB
        > ram can do.

        And if you would like to recompress a series of static images (time-lapse,
        webcam, security cam, whatever) it would be something like

        mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf type=jpg:fps=25 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=300

        The turboslug is capable of (re)encoding 352x288 divx video at around 4-6 fps
        depending on content, perhaps more if some float-intensive lavc options can
        be changed/disabled...
      • Tommy B
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
          Attila Csipa wrote:

          >On Saturday 01 October 2005 02:56, Tommy B wrote:
          >

          >>Attila THX. This is actually interesting. Can you describe how to run
          >>the tests ? I'd be interested what the Loft running @ 533 Mhz with 64MB
          >>ram can do.
          >>

          >And if you would like to recompress a series of static images (time-lapse,
          >webcam, security cam, whatever) it would be something like
          >
          >mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf type=jpg:fps=25 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=300
          >
          >The turboslug is capable of (re)encoding 352x288 divx video at around 4-6 fps
          >depending on content, perhaps more if some float-intensive lavc options can
          >be changed/disabled...

          Thanks so much for these tips! I'll definetly have to try this stuff
          out. I'd really like to try the time-lapse stuff. Either with a Camera
          or Web cam. I think the kids would really get a kick out of this.

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • nexstar_josh
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005

            Sorry to barge in, but this looks like an interesting thread!
            I'm very interested in getting mplayer running on my slug. Do you
            think it needs to be a turbo-slug for half-decent results? I note that
            you have given a few compilation tips - is there any chance that a
            precompiled package couldbe made available?

            The main reason for my interest is so that I can run AlienBBC on the
            Slug alongside my Slim Devices Squeexebox...

            JoshM

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Attila Csipa <plists@p...> wrote:
            > On Saturday 01 October 2005 02:56, Tommy B wrote:
            > > Attila THX. This is actually interesting. Can you describe how to run
            > > the tests ? I'd be interested what the Loft running @ 533 Mhz
            with 64MB
            > > ram can do.
            >
            > And if you would like to recompress a series of static images
            (time-lapse,
            > webcam, security cam, whatever) it would be something like
            >
            > mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf type=jpg:fps=25 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
            vbitrate=300

            > The turboslug is capable of (re)encoding 352x288 divx video at
            around 4-6 fps
            > depending on content, perhaps more if some float-intensive lavc
            options can
            > be changed/disabled...
          • Attila Csipa
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
              On Monday 03 October 2005 15:49, nexstar_josh wrote:
              > I'm very interested in getting mplayer running on my slug. Do you
              > think it needs to be a turbo-slug for half-decent results? I note that

              Depends on what you want to do with it, but if you want to to anything with
              the video material that involves encoding on the slug, you will want every
              MHz you can get. The only exception would be time-lapse images, where one-two
              frames per second is acceptable speed.

              > you have given a few compilation tips - is there any chance that a

              Actually as it turns out this is a memory constraint - with O3 and O4 it runs
              out of memory.

              > precompiled package couldbe made available?

              This is a bit tricky because of copyright issues. You will most definitely not
              see mplayer in a Debian feed, but of course someone can always make a private
              package (like the marillat packages). The tricky part is that mplayer can
              take in a million libraries in dependencies, some of which you might want,
              some which you might not - and even more importantly than the download time
              is the fact that mplayer does eat a lot of memory - so you really don't wan't
              any unnecessary libraries pulled in, which kind of makes it necessary to
              customize.
            • fatbobus
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 25, 2006
                Hello chaps,

                Also interested in this thread. I have the same goal in mind, I want
                to get AlienBCC running on my Slug\Slimserver\Squeezebox setup. (Live
                in foreign parts and miss the news.)

                I'm a complete newbie to Linux, so I'm doing lots of reading and
                scratching of head. Alll good stuff though.

                When I tried to complile the Mplayer package it insisted that I use

                "GCC 2.95.3 (maybe 2.95.4) and 3.2+. Never use 2.96 or 3.0.x! "

                The package on my unslung slug is 3.4.4, so I'm a bit stumped now, and
                I'm not sure how to progress, done lots of searching but not really
                getting anywhere. It's probably out there and I'm a bit dim.

                How do I regrade my gcc lib to 2.95.3 using ipkg ?
                What is the consequence of retrograding for the rest of my slug ?

                Other option is use my current 3.4.4 lib, I know there is a
                "IGNORE_COMPLIER_VERSION_CHECKING" option thing, I looked at that and
                it frightned me a bit? What is the consequence of compiling against
                the newer compilier ?
                If I do complie against 3.4.4 how do I go backwards.

                If I can get this up and runnning I'll do a readme as I feel I should
                contrbiute something.

                Any help will be appreciated,

                regards

                Rob