Re: [nslu2-linux] passwd and smb.conf file copies at startup??

  • Kai Steinbach
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hello Fraser,

      On 30/09/05, fraser_winters wrote:
      [snip]
      > I had my smb.conf file all up and running and rebooted only to find
      > that some of my changes were overwritten as something
      > copied on a different version of smb.conf.

      I wonder what search term you were searching the wiki with? Well, try
      smb.conf. You will find a few pages around modifying it. While maybe
      it is unknown how/what exactly reverses your changes (Linksys
      software), it is explained in detail how to use a diversion script to
      make persistant changes to smb.conf.

      In case you would like a linux that is free from the Linksys stuff
      that we don't have control over then consider OpenSlug.

      Good luck. Kai
    • Fraser Winters
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
        Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@...> writes:

        > [snip]
        > I wonder what search term you were searching the wiki with? Well, try
        > smb.conf. You will find a few pages around modifying it. While maybe
        > it is unknown how/what exactly reverses your changes (Linksys
        > software), it is explained in detail how to use a diversion script to
        > make persistant changes to smb.conf.
        >
        > In case you would like a linux that is free from the Linksys stuff
        > that we don't have control over then consider OpenSlug.

        Hi Kai,

        Thanks for the suggestion. I had found the info for the diversion scripts etc.
        and I had used the alternative method to link both /etc/samba/smb.conf
        and /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf to one in the unslung directory. This in part
        caused some of the problem. I am using samba 3 rather than the default samba 2
        and this meant that when the main /etc/samba file is changed at startup it
        then changed the /opt version that samba 3 was using and hence resetting some
        of my settings to previous values.
        I would rather determine what is changing the file and prevent it from doing
        this rather than what I have done at present which is split the two files so
        that the /opt/etc is not updated when the other one is updated at power-on.
        I know that I could move to openslug and I had tried this to begin with; but I
        have found the package list on unslung to be better suited to my needs and I
        also found the ipkg downloads unreliable on openslug.
        When openslug matures a bti more then I may investigate this route at a later
        date but for now I am more trying to get my unslung system behaving like
        openslug.
        I am starting to get a better understanding of the order that everything
        happens in and when I get some time I may try and write this up for the wiki.
        For now I am concentrating in getting my two boxes behaving as I would like
        them.

        There must be one of the rc files calling something that is copying from
        CGI_ds.conf into smb.conf at power-on. This is where the old setting is that
        is overwriting my new setting but I cannot locate what is doing this yet.
        I know I could use the web interface but I want to improve my knowledge of the
        system and how it all fits together and I have also disabled the default web
        server and now only have apache running.
        In the ideal case I will get to the point where I know what if anything is
        changing files at startup and then where possible disable this via the
        diversion scripts. I would rather do this than accept that things will change
        at power-on and then try and account for it in the diversion script.

        Thanks
        Fraser