Re: [nslu2-linux] OpenSlug vs. OpenDebianSlug vs. Korsgaard Debian

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
      On 10/1/05, wtkrein <todd@...> wrote:
      I'm confused by the kernels used in these three different scenarios.

      You're not the only one :-)  The objective for the debian ports is to make the kernel a debian package, so that should remove some of the confusion (i.e. we won't be using openslug kernels for the debian ports, we'll be using debian armeb kernels).

      For various reasons I can't/won't/don't cross compile.

      That will make things difficult for you.  The development team pretty much exclusively uses cross-compilation due to the time involved.  There are a couple of things which can only be built native, but the kernel is not one of them.

      But the OpenSlug documentation seems to imply that the only way to
      build the beast is in a unique environment (monotone) on an openSlug
      partition on the slug. That's not particularly interesting to me, as
      I'm not doing kernel development, just want to turn on a couple of
      modules.

      Are the modules you need already in the OpenSlug feed?  If so, then you can save yourself a lot of hassle.  If not, you can ask for them (by sending a defconfig patch to nslu2-developer) and the modules should appear in the feed within a day or two.

      Peter's directions describe how to make the world work using
      a "normal" build environment, but for little endian, and using a
      compendium patch for openSlug, whose ancestory I cannot determine.

      The kernel that Peter builds is not OpenSlug.  It uses mostly (if not exactly) the same patches, but "OpenSlug" kernels are only released as images from www.openslug.org - anything else is a derivative of OpenSlug, and must be named differently (to avoid confusion).

      So, I followed Peter's directions, sort of. Downloaded the stock
      kernel, applied the openSlug patches, did *not* apply the LE
      patches, and compiled. When I came back from dinner, it looks like
      it's all built, but I can't get it to run in redboot.

      You're on your own there then, unfortunately.

      The development team releases automated environments for a reason - so that people can compile stuff automatically.

      Some people prefer to do stuff manually (and more power to them - everything new is done manually first) - but the development team can't really support that.

      If anyone can explain the basics for me (or provide apointer), or
      suggestions on what I missed as I hacked Peter's instructions, I'd
      appreciate it. (And I promise to add a HowTo if/when I get it to
      work.)

      You'll have to ask Peter about his instructions.  I personally just use the MasterMakefile to build stuff.

      -- Rod

    • wtkrein
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
        Rod,
        Thanks very much for the complete answer. Very illuminating!

        So (he asks regretfully), how can I help with the straight ARMEB
        kernel work? I'll have to figure out how to cross compile from an
        FC2 system (what we require here for work), but we've some people
        here who have done similar things before (for mips).

        ACtually, I just finished building the kernel natively. I guess I'm
        just a glutton for punishment. (and obviously not doing development)

        OK, let me check the feed, and if it's not there, I'll come ask you
        how to send the patch.

        Thanks!

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
          On 10/1/05, wtkrein <todd@...> wrote:
          > So (he asks regretfully), how can I help with the straight ARMEB
          > kernel work? I'll have to figure out how to cross compile from an
          > FC2 system (what we require here for work), but we've some people
          > here who have done similar things before (for mips).

          What we most need right now is someone to work out how to create a
          debian kernel package.

          > ACtually, I just finished building the kernel natively. I guess I'm
          > just a glutton for punishment. (and obviously not doing development)

          No, development always starts by doing it manually (or natively)
          first. It's the autobuilding and providing procedures to a wider
          community where you want things to be faster and more automated.

          > OK, let me check the feed, and if it's not there, I'll come ask you
          > how to send the patch.

          Just send a patch for the defconfig file in
          /home/slug/openembedded/packages/linux/openslug-kerne_2.6.12.2 (path
          not verified, but you should be able to find it from that info) to the
          nslu2-developers list.