passwd and smb.conf file copies at startup??

  • fraser_winters
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005

      Can anyone point me a what copies the passwd file
      from /share/hdd/conf/passwd
      to /etc/passwd. Also what copies the smb.conf file at power on?

      I am using unslung 5.5 running from an external disk and I was
      looking to get
      a better idea of what happens during power on so that I have more
      control over
      how I want things.
      I had my smb.conf file all up and running and rebooted only to find
      that some
      of my changes were overwritten as something copied on a different
      version of
      smb.conf.

      Thanks in advance for any info on this.

      Fraser
    • Kai Steinbach
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
        Hello Fraser,

        On 30/09/05, fraser_winters wrote:
        [snip]
        > I had my smb.conf file all up and running and rebooted only to find
        > that some of my changes were overwritten as something
        > copied on a different version of smb.conf.

        I wonder what search term you were searching the wiki with? Well, try
        smb.conf. You will find a few pages around modifying it. While maybe
        it is unknown how/what exactly reverses your changes (Linksys
        software), it is explained in detail how to use a diversion script to
        make persistant changes to smb.conf.

        In case you would like a linux that is free from the Linksys stuff
        that we don't have control over then consider OpenSlug.

        Good luck. Kai
      • Fraser Winters
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@...> writes:

          > [snip]
          > I wonder what search term you were searching the wiki with? Well, try
          > smb.conf. You will find a few pages around modifying it. While maybe
          > it is unknown how/what exactly reverses your changes (Linksys
          > software), it is explained in detail how to use a diversion script to
          > make persistant changes to smb.conf.
          >
          > In case you would like a linux that is free from the Linksys stuff
          > that we don't have control over then consider OpenSlug.

          Hi Kai,

          Thanks for the suggestion. I had found the info for the diversion scripts etc.
          and I had used the alternative method to link both /etc/samba/smb.conf
          and /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf to one in the unslung directory. This in part
          caused some of the problem. I am using samba 3 rather than the default samba 2
          and this meant that when the main /etc/samba file is changed at startup it
          then changed the /opt version that samba 3 was using and hence resetting some
          of my settings to previous values.
          I would rather determine what is changing the file and prevent it from doing
          this rather than what I have done at present which is split the two files so
          that the /opt/etc is not updated when the other one is updated at power-on.
          I know that I could move to openslug and I had tried this to begin with; but I
          have found the package list on unslung to be better suited to my needs and I
          also found the ipkg downloads unreliable on openslug.
          When openslug matures a bti more then I may investigate this route at a later
          date but for now I am more trying to get my unslung system behaving like
          openslug.
          I am starting to get a better understanding of the order that everything
          happens in and when I get some time I may try and write this up for the wiki.
          For now I am concentrating in getting my two boxes behaving as I would like
          them.

          There must be one of the rc files calling something that is copying from
          CGI_ds.conf into smb.conf at power-on. This is where the old setting is that
          is overwriting my new setting but I cannot locate what is doing this yet.
          I know I could use the web interface but I want to improve my knowledge of the
          system and how it all fits together and I have also disabled the default web
          server and now only have apache running.
          In the ideal case I will get to the point where I know what if anything is
          changing files at startup and then where possible disable this via the
          diversion scripts. I would rather do this than accept that things will change
          at power-on and then try and account for it in the diversion script.

          Thanks
          Fraser