RE: OpenSlug 2.7 beta source release

  • John Bowler
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 27, 2005
      The NSLU2-Linux development team is pleased to announce the source release
      of OpenSlug 2.7-beta. This source release can be found at the release page:

      http://www.openslug.org

      Information about the OpenSlug software and this release can be found at the
      OpenSlug home page. This page gives essential information for first time
      users of OpenSlug.

      The full release notes for this software can be found in the
      OpenSlug-2.7-beta release notes,
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/ReleaseNotes2x7.

      Note that the OpenSlug software is intended for use by people who have
      previously installed and administered one or more Linux systems. If you are
      a first-time user of custom firmware for the NSLU2, then we recommend that
      you start with the Unslung firmware, and then make a decision whether to
      move to the OpenSlug firmware only after you are familiar with installing
      and running custom firmware on the NSLU2.

      Due to licensing of the Intel IXP400 loadable kernel module, the binary
      releases are being prepared by a trusted third party, will be released
      separately on a different site from www.nslu2-linux.org, and will require
      you to agree to a click-through end-user license to be able to download the
      binary firmware image. As a result binary releases are made a few days after
      source releases.

      Note that there is no charge for this click-through license, and (as far as
      we can tell - we are not lawyers, and you should make your own judgement
      before accepting the license) the only thing that the license prevents you
      from doing is to redistribute the Intel IXP400 loadable kernel module in a
      way which might subject the Intel IXP400 software to any other license
      obligations (this is a condition of use of the Intel IXP400 software which
      runs the built-in ethernet interface of the NSLU2).

      Since the Intel source is compiled into a loadable kernel module (for
      OpenSlug, - the kernel module is just copied from the Linksys firmware for
      Unslung), then aggregating that loadable kernel module with the rest of the
      firmware does not subject the Intel software to any other license
      obligations and therefore complies with the Intel license.

      However the nslu2-linux developent team cannot accept that license on your
      behalf, and therefore any individual who downloads the binary image must
      accept the Intel license on their own behalf before that individual can be
      given access to the binary image that our trusted third party will release.

      Information about the binary release is sent to the NSLU2 mailing lists on
      http://groups.yahoo.com If you are not familiar with building software from
      source you should use the binary release.

      --- The NSLU2-Linux development team
    • Jelle Alten
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 30, 2005
        Looks like it had something to do with passwd files. I rebooted without disks, changed the root passwd, cp'd the passwd file around and did another unsling followed by reboot. seems to work fine now.