auto detecting device type

  • fransmeulenbroeks
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2005

      I'm looking for info on how to automatically detect what exactly is
      inserted on the USB port.

      I know about hotplug, and I know I can use the PRODUCT environment
      variable to start a device specific script or program.

      However that is not exactly what I want. What I want is a
      program/script to detect what kind of device it is and preferably
      also to which major device it maps.

      I think with quite some effort (going from hotplug
      to /proc/bus/usb/...) etc I can find what i need but I feel there is
      a better way.

      Questions I am facing are:
      - how do I easily detect the device class
      - can I detect a subtype (e.g. when it is an MSC device, is it a
      cdrom, a memory stick, a floppy drive or a hard disk)?
      - For MSC how can I find out which major device number it got (and
      probably the supported minors as well). Currently I can only do this
      by trial and error)

      The script/program I am planning to write could for instance:
      - if a camera is inserted automatically backup all images to hard
      disk (for both mass storage and ptp)
      - if a cdrom is present and an audio cd is inserted it will rip the
      cd (to wav) and store it on hard disk.
      - if a memory stick is inserted it could backup the contents to hard
      disk
      - if a portable mp3 player is inserted it could load the thing with
      new content.
      etc. etc.

      I know how to perform each of these tasks for a single device or even
      for a set of devices that are known upfront, but I am missing the
      info to write a generic dispatcher.

      Anyone a suggestion how to tackle this?

      Thanks alot! Frans.