Re: [nslu2-linux] new howto: HowTo/MakeABatteryPoweredSlug

  • Jon Pounder
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18, 2005

      > This is actually quite nice. You could even make your own mini-ups for the
      > slug this way:
      > add a relais that chooses between outlet current and battery current,
      > depending on the outlet current to be there, maybe add a capasitor (or
      > what you call it?) to eliminate the dip.
      > On the other had, if the battery is rechargable, you can just let it
      > charge, and it will be a ups all the time...

      NEVER do this sort of thing with a relay !

      use two steering diodes, one in series with each supply, and make sure the
      supplies are about 0.5 to 0.7V higher than the voltage you want at the
      output.

      Again though I would go with the Y configured DC:DC convertor. In a
      transformer design, the regulator would just keep a constant flux in the
      core based on which input is available, and the output would draw from
      this. if the battery voltage drops and external input is available to keep
      the core saturated, the battery circuit current flow reverses direction to
      charge the battery. no switching interruptions, and both inputs are
      transformer isolated from the output.

      > Jelle

      Jon Pounder

      _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/

      Inline Internet Systems Inc.
      Thorold, Ontario, Canada

      Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
      www.inline.net
      www.ihtml.com
      www.ihtmlmerchant.com
      www.opayc.com