Re: [nslu2-linux] Same problem, disk2 won't show (Re: FAT32 and unslung 5.5 problem?)

  • Mike Westerhof
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2005
      Can't speak to the NSLU2 specifically; there's some discussion that it might not current-limit the +5V on the USB ports so it may well be able to provide more power than normal.  However, the typical start-up current for 2.5" IBM/Hitachi, Toshiba, and Fujitsu drives is higher than the max allowed by USB.

      The drives suck the most power up on spin-up.  For example, the specs for the Hitachi DK23DA series drives (listed as 0.5A drives) state that the drives will only use .45A max (during seeks) while running.  But they take a whopping 0.9A to spin up!   It's interesting to me that another Hitachi drive I have is listed on the drive as a 1.0A drive; the specs for it are similar.  I wonder if the power consumption listed on the label changed from the maximum "run" draw to the maximum "start" draw at some point?  I don't know, I don't have enough drives to examine to come up with a conclusion.

      Does your box have the option for an external power supply?