Re: Re: [nslu2-linux] NFS problems

  • bschaefer1
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2005
      >On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:52:29 -0400 Josh Parsons <jbparsons@...>
      wrote.
      >Bob Schaefer wrote:
      >
      >> So, here's the situation, I've had my slug for about a month or two,
      >> love it. Unfortunately, I've now had the file system get corrupted
      >> twice. This last time, I think it was caused by my sparc server writing
      >> to the slug via NFS....
      >
      >Can you be more explicit in what you mean by "file system corrupted"?
      >Do you mean that the file system on a disk attached to your slug needed
      >to be fscked? If so, that's a very unusual circumstance, as the ext3
      >file system used by unslung (and by the stock firmware prior to the most
      >recent version) is very resistant to the circumstances that cause it.
      >The mostly likely problem is flaky hardware in your USB drive enclosure.
      > Certainly, there's no way that an NFS client can cause "file system
      >corruption" of that kind.

      Sure, yes, it was to the point of needing fsck run, both times. The first
      time, files were corrupted to the point they couldn't be deleted, and things
      like that. The second time, namely the time the NFS write was done, the
      superblock was corrupted. Also, I've had no problems writing from windows,
      gigabytes were written, no problems. Just about a megabyte from the sparc,
      and immediate problems. Actually the filesystem is still partially
      corrupted as fsck says it can't fully fix the filesystem, but its currently
      still running.

      As a side note, the first time the filesystem became corrupted, or at least
      I noticed the corruption was after a power outage, so I blamed it on an
      incomplete write or something like that.

      As to hardware concerns, it is a Lacie 250Gbyte drive. Which is a maxtor
      internal, but its sitting in a cool area, with plenty of air space around
      it, so it shouldn't be a heating problem.

      >If it's just that you've found that some files have unexpected contents,
      >I would do two things: 1) attach the drive to a linux PC and fsck it to
      >check that the problem isn't a corrupt filesystem in the other sense.
      >2) think about the permissions of those files and at the applications
      >and users that are allowed to access them. If the problem is that some
      >applications and/or users are writing to files they shouldn't, the
      >solution would probably be to set the permissions so that they can't.

      Its definately not permissions, as I was the user, and there is only one
      other user on the network, and she wasn't even home at the time. (Damn,
      can't blame the wife on this one!)

      Thanks for the thoughts, and comments. Hopefully this will help point to
      issues.

      Bob Schaefer

      Bob Schaefer
      bschaefer1@...