Mail configuration - sendmail/postfix php settings?

  • wibbleman11
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12 9:51 AM
      This is a simple q regarding setting up UNSLUNG to enable outgoing
      mail.

      I have been runnning a few PHP applications and trying to get
      outgoing mail running from PHP.

      My understanding is
      (1) Most PHP applications send mail "through" PHP. The SMTP
      paramters are NOT specified within PHP (or PHP.ini etc) but are
      specified by an external app, such as SENDMAIL
      (2) Some applications use their own smtp mail connector (these work
      OK)
      (3) On a default UNSLUNG intall PHP.INI points to sendmail

      My questions are
      (A) Is SENDMAIL in the basic unlsung5.5beta install? (If so, where
      do i specify the smtp parameters?)
      (B) I think the answer to (A) is no. Does that mean I need to
      install POSTFIX ?
      (C) The instructions for setting up Postfix look like overkill.
      Surely as a minimum I only need to specify the 3 params host/usr/pwd
      for the smtp server to get "OUTGOING" mail running. Have I missed
      something in order to simply send a few mail msgs from within PHP.

      Life seems to be getting over-complex again..

      Wibble
    • Dean Maluski
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14 10:09 PM
        I'm a newbie and eventually will have the same question.
        I've not yet setup php but I plan to and will need outbound mail.