Re: Samba as a PDC

  • mijn_nslu2
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
      > I am looking for a 'how-to' on using the SLUG with Samba as a PDC
      > (Primary Domain Controller) to use with my 2 WinXP boxes.

      Not Slug specific of course, but besides the official Samba
      documentation some howto info can be found...
      ...here: http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/samba.htm
      ...or here: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6684&page=1

      > How's the performace?

      On my Slug, data is copied at about 3.6MB/s between Samba/Slug and
      WinXP. Other posts I've seen here reported mostly between 3 and 4 MB/s.

      Grtz,
      Ron
    • chandersawh
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mijn_nslu2" <ron@m...> wrote:
        > > I am looking for a 'how-to' on using the SLUG with Samba as a PDC
        > > (Primary Domain Controller) to use with my 2 WinXP boxes.
        >
        > Not Slug specific of course, but besides the official Samba
        > documentation some howto info can be found...
        > ...here: http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/samba.htm
        > ...or here: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6684&page=1
        >
        > > How's the performace?
        >
        > On my Slug, data is copied at about 3.6MB/s between Samba/Slug and
        > WinXP. Other posts I've seen here reported mostly between 3 and 4 MB/s.
        >
        > Grtz,
        > Ron

        OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:

        Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
        exist in the UNIX password database ?
        Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$

        This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
        smbpasswd file.

        I tried google but couldn't find any help.
      • Ron Moerman
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
          > OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:

          Which one do you mean exactly?

          > Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
          > exist in the UNIX password database ?
          > Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$
          > This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
          > smbpasswd file.

          Samba used to have problems dealing with account names ending in '$'. I'm
          not sure about version 3.1x though.
          Just to be save, you should uses names like that only for NT machine
          accounts. Or you can try to use the '--force-badname' option of adduser.

          What type of account is this 'oracle$'? A regular user, a machine account,
          or what?
          What action/command triggers this error message?

          Grtz, Ron
        • chandersawh
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Moerman" <ron@m...> wrote:
            > > OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:
            >
            > Which one do you mean exactly?
            >
            > > Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
            > > exist in the UNIX password database ?
            > > Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$
            > > This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
            > > smbpasswd file.
            >
            > Samba used to have problems dealing with account names ending in
            '$'. I'm
            > not sure about version 3.1x though.
            > Just to be save, you should uses names like that only for NT machine
            > accounts. Or you can try to use the '--force-badname' option of adduser.
            >
            > What type of account is this 'oracle$'? A regular user, a machine
            account,
            > or what?

            > What action/command triggers this error message?
            >
            > Grtz, Ron

            Thx Ron!

            This is a machine account I am trying to create. 'oracle' is a windows
            XP Pro box on my network. I issue the following command to get this error.
            I get to this point in the guide.

            smbpasswd -a -m oracle
            smbpasswd -a -m oracle$ # either command errors

            I would really like to get this going especially for roaming profiles.
            Any help would be appreciated.
          • justin_hearn
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 20, 2005
              Hi. To Øyvind Repvik (or anyone who is successfully running their slug
              as a pdc) -

              I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 as a PDC for my school. I've been
              working with 'Unslung-5.5-beta-firmware', and was wondering:

              1. Is there any chance I could get a copy of your smb.conf for PDC?
              2. Did you have to install 'samba_3.0.14a-1_armeb.ipk'?
              3. Where on the slug is your smb.conf file located?

              Thanks very much, Justin
            • Øyvind Repvik
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 20, 2005
                justin_hearn wrote:
                > Hi. To Øyvind Repvik (or anyone who is successfully running their slug
                > as a pdc) -
                >
                > I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 as a PDC for my school. I've been
                > working with 'Unslung-5.5-beta-firmware', and was wondering:
                >
                > 1. Is there any chance I could get a copy of your smb.conf for PDC?
                > 2. Did you have to install 'samba_3.0.14a-1_armeb.ipk'?
                > 3. Where on the slug is your smb.conf file located?

                I haven't used Unslung at all, so I can't say how to set up samba as a
                PDC under Unslung. I used OpenSlug, and it was simply a matter of "ipkg
                install samba" (which installs samba 3.0.20 nowadays), and editing
                /etc/samba/smb.conf.
                I'm afraid I no longer have the config-file, but there are numerous
                howtos available on the internet that will help you set it up properly.

                Regards,
                Øyvind