Re: Samba as a PDC

  • mijn_nslu2
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
      > I am looking for a 'how-to' on using the SLUG with Samba as a PDC
      > (Primary Domain Controller) to use with my 2 WinXP boxes.

      Not Slug specific of course, but besides the official Samba
      documentation some howto info can be found...
      ...here: http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/samba.htm
      ...or here: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6684&page=1

      > How's the performace?

      On my Slug, data is copied at about 3.6MB/s between Samba/Slug and
      WinXP. Other posts I've seen here reported mostly between 3 and 4 MB/s.

      Grtz,
      Ron
    • Øyvind Repvik
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
        chandersawh wrote:
        > I am looking for a 'how-to' on using the SLUG with Samba as a PDC
        > (Primary Domain Controller) to use with my 2 WinXP boxes.
        >
        > Is anyone here doing this? If so, can you give some pointers/links/how-to?
        I was doing this (on OpenSlug), but as my networks is continously in a
        state of flux, I didn't bother to maintain it ;-)

        http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html

        > How's the performace?

        As long as you don't do something "smart" like large roaming profiles,
        it'll be fast enough. The amount of work samba does to authenticate and
        such isn't huge.

        > Thanks,
        > narsaw

        Regards,
        Øyvind Repvik

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • chandersawh
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mijn_nslu2" <ron@m...> wrote:
          > > I am looking for a 'how-to' on using the SLUG with Samba as a PDC
          > > (Primary Domain Controller) to use with my 2 WinXP boxes.
          >
          > Not Slug specific of course, but besides the official Samba
          > documentation some howto info can be found...
          > ...here: http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/samba.htm
          > ...or here: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6684&page=1
          >
          > > How's the performace?
          >
          > On my Slug, data is copied at about 3.6MB/s between Samba/Slug and
          > WinXP. Other posts I've seen here reported mostly between 3 and 4 MB/s.
          >
          > Grtz,
          > Ron

          OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:

          Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
          exist in the UNIX password database ?
          Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$

          This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
          smbpasswd file.

          I tried google but couldn't find any help.
        • Ron Moerman
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
            > OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:

            Which one do you mean exactly?

            > Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
            > exist in the UNIX password database ?
            > Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$
            > This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
            > smbpasswd file.

            Samba used to have problems dealing with account names ending in '$'. I'm
            not sure about version 3.1x though.
            Just to be save, you should uses names like that only for NT machine
            accounts. Or you can try to use the '--force-badname' option of adduser.

            What type of account is this 'oracle$'? A regular user, a machine account,
            or what?
            What action/command triggers this error message?

            Grtz, Ron
          • chandersawh
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Moerman" <ron@m...> wrote:
              > > OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:
              >
              > Which one do you mean exactly?
              >
              > > Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
              > > exist in the UNIX password database ?
              > > Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$
              > > This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
              > > smbpasswd file.
              >
              > Samba used to have problems dealing with account names ending in
              '$'. I'm
              > not sure about version 3.1x though.
              > Just to be save, you should uses names like that only for NT machine
              > accounts. Or you can try to use the '--force-badname' option of adduser.
              >
              > What type of account is this 'oracle$'? A regular user, a machine
              account,
              > or what?

              > What action/command triggers this error message?
              >
              > Grtz, Ron

              Thx Ron!

              This is a machine account I am trying to create. 'oracle' is a windows
              XP Pro box on my network. I issue the following command to get this error.
              I get to this point in the guide.

              smbpasswd -a -m oracle
              smbpasswd -a -m oracle$ # either command errors

              I would really like to get this going especially for roaming profiles.
              Any help would be appreciated.
            • justin_hearn
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 20, 2005
                Hi. To Øyvind Repvik (or anyone who is successfully running their slug
                as a pdc) -

                I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 as a PDC for my school. I've been
                working with 'Unslung-5.5-beta-firmware', and was wondering:

                1. Is there any chance I could get a copy of your smb.conf for PDC?
                2. Did you have to install 'samba_3.0.14a-1_armeb.ipk'?
                3. Where on the slug is your smb.conf file located?

                Thanks very much, Justin
              • Øyvind Repvik
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 20, 2005
                  justin_hearn wrote:
                  > Hi. To Øyvind Repvik (or anyone who is successfully running their slug
                  > as a pdc) -
                  >
                  > I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 as a PDC for my school. I've been
                  > working with 'Unslung-5.5-beta-firmware', and was wondering:
                  >
                  > 1. Is there any chance I could get a copy of your smb.conf for PDC?
                  > 2. Did you have to install 'samba_3.0.14a-1_armeb.ipk'?
                  > 3. Where on the slug is your smb.conf file located?

                  I haven't used Unslung at all, so I can't say how to set up samba as a
                  PDC under Unslung. I used OpenSlug, and it was simply a matter of "ipkg
                  install samba" (which installs samba 3.0.20 nowadays), and editing
                  /etc/samba/smb.conf.
                  I'm afraid I no longer have the config-file, but there are numerous
                  howtos available on the internet that will help you set it up properly.

                  Regards,
                  Øyvind