Re: Samba as a PDC

  • mijn_nslu2
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
      > I am looking for a 'how-to' on using the SLUG with Samba as a PDC
      > (Primary Domain Controller) to use with my 2 WinXP boxes.

      Not Slug specific of course, but besides the official Samba
      documentation some howto info can be found...
      ...here: http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/samba.htm
      ...or here: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6684&page=1

      > How's the performace?

      On my Slug, data is copied at about 3.6MB/s between Samba/Slug and
      WinXP. Other posts I've seen here reported mostly between 3 and 4 MB/s.

      Grtz,
      Ron
    • John Bowler
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
        From: chandersawh
        >I am looking for a 'how-to' on using the SLUG with Samba as a PDC
        >(Primary Domain Controller) to use with my 2 WinXP boxes.

        This is, I think, an nslu2-general question at least...

        Use the standard samba howto for the version of Samba there's nothing
        different about an NSLU2 - it's pretty close to a Debian system (indeed, it
        *is* a Debian system with Debian, but I suspect the Debian Samba might still
        be too old to make Samba-as-PDC workable.)

        John Bowler <jbowler@...>
      • Øyvind Repvik
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
          chandersawh wrote:
          > I am looking for a 'how-to' on using the SLUG with Samba as a PDC
          > (Primary Domain Controller) to use with my 2 WinXP boxes.
          >
          > Is anyone here doing this? If so, can you give some pointers/links/how-to?
          I was doing this (on OpenSlug), but as my networks is continously in a
          state of flux, I didn't bother to maintain it ;-)

          http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html

          > How's the performace?

          As long as you don't do something "smart" like large roaming profiles,
          it'll be fast enough. The amount of work samba does to authenticate and
          such isn't huge.

          > Thanks,
          > narsaw

          Regards,
          Øyvind Repvik

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • chandersawh
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4, 2005
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mijn_nslu2" <ron@m...> wrote:
            > > I am looking for a 'how-to' on using the SLUG with Samba as a PDC
            > > (Primary Domain Controller) to use with my 2 WinXP boxes.
            >
            > Not Slug specific of course, but besides the official Samba
            > documentation some howto info can be found...
            > ...here: http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/samba.htm
            > ...or here: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6684&page=1
            >
            > > How's the performace?
            >
            > On my Slug, data is copied at about 3.6MB/s between Samba/Slug and
            > WinXP. Other posts I've seen here reported mostly between 3 and 4 MB/s.
            >
            > Grtz,
            > Ron

            OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:

            Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
            exist in the UNIX password database ?
            Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$

            This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
            smbpasswd file.

            I tried google but couldn't find any help.
          • Ron Moerman
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
              > OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:

              Which one do you mean exactly?

              > Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
              > exist in the UNIX password database ?
              > Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$
              > This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
              > smbpasswd file.

              Samba used to have problems dealing with account names ending in '$'. I'm
              not sure about version 3.1x though.
              Just to be save, you should uses names like that only for NT machine
              accounts. Or you can try to use the '--force-badname' option of adduser.

              What type of account is this 'oracle$'? A regular user, a machine account,
              or what?
              What action/command triggers this error message?

              Grtz, Ron
            • chandersawh
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Moerman" <ron@m...> wrote:
                > > OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:
                >
                > Which one do you mean exactly?
                >
                > > Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
                > > exist in the UNIX password database ?
                > > Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$
                > > This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
                > > smbpasswd file.
                >
                > Samba used to have problems dealing with account names ending in
                '$'. I'm
                > not sure about version 3.1x though.
                > Just to be save, you should uses names like that only for NT machine
                > accounts. Or you can try to use the '--force-badname' option of adduser.
                >
                > What type of account is this 'oracle$'? A regular user, a machine
                account,
                > or what?

                > What action/command triggers this error message?
                >
                > Grtz, Ron

                Thx Ron!

                This is a machine account I am trying to create. 'oracle' is a windows
                XP Pro box on my network. I issue the following command to get this error.
                I get to this point in the guide.

                smbpasswd -a -m oracle
                smbpasswd -a -m oracle$ # either command errors

                I would really like to get this going especially for roaming profiles.
                Any help would be appreciated.
              • justin_hearn
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 20, 2005
                  Hi. To Øyvind Repvik (or anyone who is successfully running their slug
                  as a pdc) -

                  I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 as a PDC for my school. I've been
                  working with 'Unslung-5.5-beta-firmware', and was wondering:

                  1. Is there any chance I could get a copy of your smb.conf for PDC?
                  2. Did you have to install 'samba_3.0.14a-1_armeb.ipk'?
                  3. Where on the slug is your smb.conf file located?

                  Thanks very much, Justin
                • Øyvind Repvik
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 20, 2005
                    justin_hearn wrote:
                    > Hi. To Øyvind Repvik (or anyone who is successfully running their slug
                    > as a pdc) -
                    >
                    > I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 as a PDC for my school. I've been
                    > working with 'Unslung-5.5-beta-firmware', and was wondering:
                    >
                    > 1. Is there any chance I could get a copy of your smb.conf for PDC?
                    > 2. Did you have to install 'samba_3.0.14a-1_armeb.ipk'?
                    > 3. Where on the slug is your smb.conf file located?

                    I haven't used Unslung at all, so I can't say how to set up samba as a
                    PDC under Unslung. I used OpenSlug, and it was simply a matter of "ipkg
                    install samba" (which installs samba 3.0.20 nowadays), and editing
                    /etc/samba/smb.conf.
                    I'm afraid I no longer have the config-file, but there are numerous
                    howtos available on the internet that will help you set it up properly.

                    Regards,
                    Øyvind